At The Beginning

"Name?" asked an elder gruff-voiced man, with an accent that would take some getting some used to. 

"Oh... uh..." A young girl, new to the world, with red hair and soft brown eyes that was just thinking of everything that was different than the world that she grew up in, took a step up to the desk, "Veronica Sudayev..." Her accent was thick, growing up with two Russians, and living in a small Fisherman's Village just outside of St. Petersburg, she was no different than the other immigrants that were with her. The man looked up impatiently at the young girl.

"Miss, I wasn't talking to you." Veronica's eyebrows creased in confusion when a taller man shoved past her.

"Terribly sorry," the man's voice reminded her of Austria, "Josef Wagner," the old man nodded and waved his hand.

"Go on."

"My name is Veronica Sudayev." The young girl repeated when the Austrian leaves. The man looked up at her.

"Stand aside miss, you must wait for your partner." His tone was of obvious boredom. Veronica's blood began to boil.

"Partner? I came by myself, sir..." She said trying to keep her words calm, the man's facelifted at the statement.

"By yourself? Surely you couldn't buy that ticket on your own?"

"Actually my father-"

"Your father! Ah, that makes more sense, and where is he?"

"Not here sir... he had an appointment in Paris with Vladimir Vasilovich..." despite her words, her attire did not display a young woman whose father would have such appointment, she wore fabrics of middle classed attire. The man laughed heartily at the girl. 

"I am so sorry she is wasting your time sir," One man, his accent that of an American ran to the girl's side taking her arm. Veronica looks up with a shock at the stranger trying to pull her arm out of his grasp.

"Wasting his time? Who do you-"

"Hush, darling, don't make a fuss." He tells her with a cheeky smile before looking back at the man, "She's with me sir, please write her name down so you can move on with your day." Veronica continued to struggle out of his grasp. 

"Of course, Mr. Smith." Distracted by the fact that the stranger was only tightening his grip on her she didn't realize that she was already dragged outside when she spoke again.

"Unhand me you-"

"Ah ah ah, is that how you thank a man who saved you a lot of time doll?" He asked stopping as he turns to face her, a smirk forming on his lips. She growled and twisted her arm out of his grasp.

"I could've taken care of it myself, Thank You!" The young man's smirk became a grin as he watched the Russian girl walk away from him to a ferry.

"The bloke was making fun of you sweetheart!"He said as he caught up with her wrapping his arm around her. She quickly shrugged out of it quickly. The snow crunched under her feet as she reached the Ferry getting on board without a hitch. He was still following her.

"What do you want from me?!" She exclaimed turning to him. He only smiled. 

"The name is James Brown, and you are?" He held out a hand to her, his charm forcing the young girl to sigh. 

"Veronica Sudayev." She said for what was now the third time in the last hour, she moves to shake his hand however he moved to kiss her hand gently.

"Your hands are freezing in this December air, here allow me," he goes to pull her closer to him but she instinctively pulls back. "I am fine, thank you, I have survived 3 months with everything I own just fine." She starts to look around and suddenly starts to panic. "My belongings! I forgot my belongings on the Island." She runs to the edge of the boat looking around with deep unsettlement. She feels a hand place itself on her shoulder.