Formidable Rivals: Chapter 9

Misaki carried Mirai's fainted body with his two arms and brought her to the clinic. Ryosuke couldn't make a move nearer. He wanted to take care of Mirai inside but since she already had someone to watch for her, he only decided to stay outside pondering on the next move he would make.

Why did she faint? What happened? How could she be right now? He wanted to see her so badly. He wanted to be by her side till she gets well. All the more, he didn't want 'that playboy' to play with her heart. As he watched from afar, he remembered his elder sister's words.

If you won't tell Mirai how you feel about her, someone might steal her heart away from you.

It's like everything she said came true. If this continues, what would he do? He took out a silver necklace he was wearing and was hidden inside his uniform. He gazed for a long time at the silver ring which served as its pendant.

"Yamachan!" Chinen shouted as he approached. “What’s that?”

“Uh, nothing.”

“It’s odd that I don’t see you with Mariya-chan.”

“We don’t have to be together all the time.”

Chinen went closer and whispered to him, “Hey, tell me, are you two going out? You never tell me anything. Am I not your best friend?”

“No, we—“ he was interrupted as they saw Mirai and Misaki coming out from the clinic. They exchanged greetings and soon the two left.

“What happened?” Chinen asked with curiosity.

“Mirai fainted while we were in the court, and…Misaki brought her here.”

“I heard those two are going out,” Chinen told him.

“What? Who told you that?”

“Everyone’s talking about it. Takahata Misaki, from the Elite class of Horikoshi, which means he’s the son of a filthy rich family. But there’s more to that…he’s the same Takahata who dated Mirai a few years ago.”

“I don’t care,”

“Seems like history’s repeating itself, Yamachan. He’s taking her away again just after you made efforts to win her heart.”

“I know, I hate that guy.”

“Hmm…I see it now,” Chinen smiled. “The reason why you’re not with Mariya is because of Mirai. Well you have your dream girl now. Why do you still have to win Mirai’s heart?”

“We’re rivals. And I don’t want to lose to her. I’ll make her fall in love with me and show her I can get all the girls, including her.”

“You’re crazy, Yamachan.”

******

"Mr. Gentleman!" Mariya called walking towards Ryosuke's direction.

"Yo!" Ryosuke greeted. "How's your tennis."

"I guess I'm improving. And your basketball? Why are you here?"

"Uh...nothing. Are you done?"

Mariya nodded. 

"I'll treat you ice cream. But this time, I bring you to somewhere special." 

"Great!"

Ryosuke brought his belongings and brought Mariya to an ice cream parlor. The two enjoyed choosing and mixing different ice cream flavors and toppings. As soon as they were done, they sat on the table-for-two seats.

"Oishi!" The two exclaimed and laughed at themselves.

"Anou...Ryosuke, thanks for helping me out."

"So he's the foolish guy."

"Yeah. I didn't know he transferred here as well. I wonder why he did that." There was a short silence. "I guess I still love Misaki. I don't know but when he talked with Mirai a while ago, I felt a little jealous. I remembered those times we were together. He was so sweet and loving. I miss him."

"Quit it. He's a playboy. You told me he's back with his ex-girlfriend yet now he is flirting with Mirai."

"Hmm?" 

"Mirai fainted while we were having a basketball practice. I was supposed to carry him to the clinic but Misaki was the first to get her."

"So that was why."

"Why what?"

"Tell me. You like Mirai right?"

Ryosuke stopped eating his ice cream and turned to Mariya. "Silly. I don't like her. She's a nerd."

"Mhm...but you're face says a different story." Ryosuke didn't know what to say so he continued eating his ice cream. "I knew it from the first time I saw you together. When you looked at her while giving her her books, and when your eyes met at the mall, I thought you liked her."

"What are you saying?"

"When Mirai saw us holding hands, you let go of my hand, right? You didn't want her to see you do that. I'm sorry I held on to you because I'm afraid Misaki might notice it. And when I saw you in front of the clinic, it was because you wanted to see Mirai but you were hesitant because Misaki was taking care of her."

"Are you a detective?"

"No. You're just obvious."

"Silly."

"Have you told her how you feel about her?"

"No. I don't know."

"Maybe you should try, and see if she likes you back. If I'll trust my instincts, I'd say she does." Mariya smiled at him. "A necklace? It was the first time I saw it."

"I've been wearing this since I was 12."

"The pendant's odd."

"It's a ring, why?"

"Though the ring's simple, it looks like it has a feminine style."

"O...ohh...re...ally?" Ryosuke hid the necklace inside his uniform once again.

"Who gave it to you?"

Ryosuke smiled but didn't say anything. He took a scoop of ice cream and put it in his mouth.