The Story

You hold me in your tight embrace and I breathe in your sent. I still remember and miss it, even though it's been years. Years since the last time I saw you.

I listened music from my earbuds and took in my surroundings. I was sitting in a cosy and quiet café, just to watch people. I do it regularly and this café was one of my favourites. It didn't overwhelm me and I felt safe in it.
I scanned through the café and tried to find something interesting, that would inspire me as an artist. I didn't focus on people's faces too long, because I didn't want to be labeled as an stalker.  At the same time, my mind was slowly processing and jotting down possible ideas.
"Do you want an refill, Serenity?" The barista asked me and smiled friendly warmly. Her mascara was slightly smeared and she seemed exhausted from the eyebags under her chestnut brown eyes. A few loose strands threatened fell from her auburn coloured messy bun. Her posture seemed stiff, which definitely meant she was under a lot of stress. She had slightly pink tinted lipgloss on, which  surprisingly was applied carefully. She was dressed in an white blouse and black jeans, the staff's uniform in this café. The clothes were without wrinkles and it was clear they have been recently washed.
"Done checking me out?" She said teasingly and a spark seemed light her now not so dull eyes.
"That's part of my job. But are you okay, Charlotte?" I asked and my brows furrowed.
"Not so. Perhaps we can talk later." Charlotte said. The bell rang, which meant a new customer was coming in. Charlotte managed to slip me a piece of paper, before going to greet the new customer.
"Hey,  Welcome." I heard Charlotte saying in a warm, yet professional voice. I looked at prepared at the other side of the paper and smiled. In a hasty manner, she had written her number. I guess she was prepared and smooth.
I turned my head and let my curious eyes land on a stranger. Although he did look somehow familiar. He looks intently on the menu, but then notices me and looks back.
He gives me a lazy and lopsided grin. I returned an easy smile. His medium brown hair was in a rebel half shave and his cold eyes were ocean blue. He had a faded scar on his left cheek. He rose and walked towards my table. I moved my scattered stuff aside, so he had some table slace too.
"What's up, Princess?" He asked me.
"Of all nicknames, you chose to call me princess?" I asked him and my eyebrows rose.
"Because you remind me of someone." He said and moved a loose strand from hus hairstyle aside.
"You too." I muttered, but he couldn't be him. Could he?
"What's your name?" he asked.
"Serenity." I replied after a thoughtful pause. Serenity, was actually my pen name.
"Yours?" I asked.
"Carlton." he replied. I played my poker face, although it was him. After all, he broke my heart. I looked at the clock.
"I need to go." I said and started packing. I didn't actually have anything to do, but I couldn't deal with him. Not yet.
"Wait." he said and touched my hand.
"What?" I asked, annoyed.
"Atleast tell me what's wrong with my name." He said and tried to smile conciliatorily.
"I'm not Serenity. I'm Kalila. And I do not want to interact with you, Carlton." I said to him, especially stressing his name. I stormed out.
"Kalila! No!" I heard his voice saying behind me. I kept my head high and kept walking. He'll eventually stop.

"Kalila, please stop." Carlton said, still following me, although we've already walked through this city a couple of times. It has been atleast 6 hours and I was getting exhausted and hungry.
"What Carlton?" I said, gritting my teeth.
"Please let us start over." He begged.
"You broke my heart. Just stop it." I said and tried my best to keep my emotions at bay.
"Oh Kalila." He said and sighed.
"I wish I could explain."
"Don't." I said gently and looked down. He hugged me and I smelt his leather, because he was wearing leather jacket. I felt his calmly rising chest through his thin white t-shirt and relaxed my posture. He was also wearing black jeans.
I hesitantly placed my hands on his shoulders, because he was too tall. I closed my eyes and smiled.
"My Carlton, my heartbreaker." I said possessively and looked into his eyes. The warmth I was so familiar with, was returning in them again. He smiled.
"Yours. My little angel." He said. I smiled, remembering his nickname. I was the innocent one of us and he loved calling me that.

I had my doubts, but what's love without a little fear?