Chapter Two

November 17, 2017

Dear Diary,

Did you ever know unpacking could be so HARD!?

I flat out think I murdered every muscle in my body, because I can't move!!!

It feels like I've been walking through the desert for 5 whole days with no food or water ☹!!

Wait, scratch that, I had about 3 granola bars and a few berry blast juice boxes. But STILL!

And it's only 4 PM! And I still have more boxes! I'm about ready to give up and call it a month, not a day.

If I'm lucky, Mom and Dad will respect my decision and let me sleep until my prince comes to wake me!

But I had to quickly snap out of that fantasy because I am NOT a quitter! And plus, Iggy is scared of all the boxes. I'm also not a bad pet owner!

And even if I was in the desert dying, I'd die peacefully knowing Iggy would survive. She's an iguana after all.

So right now, I'm blasting Charlie Puth and resisting the urge to dance. I need as much energy I can get before my legs snap.

So I'm jamming out and unpacking, and then it hits me harder than a dodgeball in gym class.

I have SCHOOL TOMORROW!

New school, new friends, new everything!

And I'm in New York, aka the RICH state! At least I think so!

Won't the kids be snobby? Walking their pampered pooches in their Steve Madden heels and bejeweled purses!?

"Aaughhh!" I yelled, falling back on my unmade bed.

This was going to be a disaster! I don't even own a pair of heels, unless you count my cowboy boots!

How am I ever going to fit in?!

"Everything okay up there, Layla?" My Mom yelled up the stairs. I pulled my headphones off. Sorry Charlie, I'm only one call away from her stomping up here to whoop my butt for ignoring her.

"Yeah! Just having a TOTAL breakdown!" I responded, but I made sure to say the last part in my head.

"You sure?" She called again. I heard her clomp up the stairs, and I knew the wave of positivity was not far behind her.

"Maybe?" I said, watching her walk into my room.

"Sheesh, you better start moving. You're never gonna get packed by tomorrow if you sit here sulking." She put her hands on her hips, mimicking the infamous 'mom pose.'

"I know, I know," I sighed, sitting up. "I'm just worried about school. What if I get walked all over like one of those bearskin rugs all these rich people have at their houses!?" I shuddered at the thought.

My mom laughed. "You're overthinking it. Why would anyone want to push you over, you're kind, beautiful, and not to mention, you could push them over any day. No one can tame a horse as good as you can." She smiled warmly.

As sappy as it was, my mom always knew how to make me feel better. "Thanks Mom." I smiled back, but it grew bigger as the image of popular girls in horse masks strut around my mind.

"Anytime. Btdubs, dinner will be ready soon. Hit me up when you have free time so you can set the table."

I groaned. "Mooooom, dont day 'btdubs' or 'hit me up' anymore!"

She snickered and stood up, rubbing my shoulder. "I serve it with a side of fries."

Before I could facepalm any more, she hurried out of the room. Thank you Lord for saving me from witnessing any more of that!

I glanced around my room. The more I looked at the boxes, the more I didn't want to do it.

But to me, laziness is not an option!

I turned up the volume of my music. Charlie's beautiful voice filled my ears, giving me motivation with each lyric.

I bet those rich kids never had to unpack as many boxes as I have, or have had to do anything at all!

If I can get through this, tomorrow should be a piece of cake!

In fact, I'm actually kind of excited ☺!

Alright, I gotta stop procrastinating now.

Catch ya later!
<3 Layla