Prologue

"Today is a big day for you Bells. Do you know why?" I flinched as Caleb reached his hand up to brush a strand of hair away from my face. Caleb clicked his tongue in disapproval. "Come now, my sweet Bella, don't be so stiff." 

I faltered back a step, and Caleb's eyes flashed. I whimpered quietly as he grabbed my arm and jerked me back over to him. I lost my balance and fell, right into his lap, which I was sure was his plan all along. He ran his fingers along the inside of my thigh before grabbing my chin and forcing me to look at him. 

"I asked you a question, Bells." He prompted me. 

Swallowing hard, I lowered my eyes. "Because its my birthday." I murmured softly. 

Caleb smiled, placing a kiss on my nose. "Very good, Bells. You're fourteen today. Practically all grown up."

I closed my eyes, forcing myself to stay still as Caleb reached under my shirt.

Caleb was my babysitter and tutor. He watched me and home schooled me while my mother was deployed. She was a naval officer and was hardly ever at home. When I was younger she cycled through various nannies until she finally found Caleb about six months back. When she went on her first deployment after hiring him, he had started making advances towards me. 

That was two years ago, and he had been abusing me ever since. I had tried to tell my mother on numerous occasions, but my stress and worries had fallen on deaf ears. She absolutely adored Caleb and refused to understand any of my pleas for her help.