Acceptance: part 1

My best friend, Gwen, slipped an invitation to her party into my binder earlier today. Only now did I realize at it, examining it carefully before closing my locker door.

"You coming?" Gwen asks, suddenly at my locker door. Her green eyes are lively and bright, and the freckles splashed across her cheeks added to her overall resemblance to an elf. She was a short brunette with emerald eyes and was an extremely amiable and bubbly person. She was practically bouncing on her heels, waiting eagerly for my response.

"Yes! It's tomorrow night, right?" I exclaim, faking a wide smile and giving my best attempt at an excited party girl.

"Yes! And I invited you-know-who." She said casually, flipping a couple brown locks over her shoulder.

"You what?!" I nearly shout, attracting attention from a few stragglers.

"Here's your chance, Lexie!" She says, laughing in my face.

I couldn't be mad at Gwen. But sometimes, she would do the most rash things and not even tell me about it! Gwen and I always referred to my crush as HIM, but she had just crossed the line! I wouldn't confront him. Ever.

**Next day, pre-party time

I run a brush through my hair, twirling a few curly strands of black hair in my hands nervously. I stared at an anxious senior in the mirror, her brown eyes wide with worry. Time ticked by, and I finally settled on a frilly, white mini dress and a skirt that was frayed at the edges. I quickly stuffed all my necessities into my purse, (i.e, my phone) and stepped out the door.

Gwen lived down the street from me, and her house was lit up brightly. Typical of Gwen. I walked slowly, not wanting the party to start; I wasn't a party girl. Then, I saw him.

He was tall, with dark hair and piercing blue eyes. I glanced at him quickly, and in that instant, I felt him fixating me with a nerve-racking stare. My stomach flipped, and I quickly turned my eyes away from his intense gaze.

He literally towered over me in the door frame, pausing to hand Gwen his invitation. His closeness felt so real, and I felt his fingers barely graze against mine as he reached over to hand in his invitation. I gasped.

I could have sworn he did that on purpose!

I confirmed that lingering thought when he gave me a side-ways smile. In an instant, though, he was gone, following the heavy beats to the music, walking towards the party.

---