Chapter 10

"Hey you," I said, sitting down on one of the bar stools.

"Hey..." she said, never meeting my eyes as she obsessively wiped the counter top.

We were both silent; I could hear her staggering breaths and the huffs and puffs and sighs as she released them through her nose.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Not really," she said, lifting her eyes to meet mine. "Todd never showed up to meet my parents. He texted me, telling me he was snowed in and couldn't possibly leave his parents' house, but when I called over there to wish them a Happy New Year, his mom asked me what plans Todd and I had for the evening...he spent New Year's Eve with his ex-girlfriend at his own apartment. I feel like such a fool."

"Oh Sam... I'm so sorry. But you're no fool - you're so smart; you know that. He's the asshole here; we shouldn't be conditioned to expect people to cheat...I hope you can remember that."

"I know, but I feel like an idiot." Her eyes were filled up with tears, but not a single one was shed.

"Did you talk to him after you found out?"

"Only to tell him that it was over between us and to come and get his stuff from my apartment. I'm supposed to be meeting him tonight after my shift to give him his box of junk...I actually left my parents' house early to come and confront him. He didn't deserve that."

"No, but you did...you deserved that confrontation."

"How would you know?" she asked slamming her hands on the counter. I didn't respond, completely taken aback by her outburst. Her eyes met mine and softened. "I'm sorry; that was bitchy and you didn't deserve it."

"No, it's fine," I said, "I know I never confronted him, but that's how I know confrontation is always better - it still kills me to this day that I never faced him. Not facing Jason is part of the reason I'm still stuck on what happened...I'm so proud of you for being able to do what I never was."

"I don't really think I can see him again...the last time I saw him, he was with that other girl..."

"I'm sorry, Sam... I would offer to come with you, but I really think you need to do this on your own."

"I don't think I can," she said.

"Do you want me to come with you?" I asked, "I could wait in the car and you could signal for me to come out if it's getting too hard. And I would even be willing to give him the box myself, but I don't think that's what you should do...I think you should face him."

"Would you do that? Would you come with me?"

"Of course."

"You don't have any plans with Luke?"

"I'll cancel...you're my best friend; Luke will understand."

"You're the best, Kate."

I'm sorry I have to ditch tonight's dinner, but Sam needs me... ok?

Of course, beautiful Kate. X

Come for a drink tomorrow?

Taking boys to dinner...maybe I can drive you home?

Archie!

Can Matt drop you off? I'd really like to drive you home... xx

I'll walk. See you after my shift. X

"Might as well do something once you're here. Punch in; I'm sure Terry won't deny you the overtime."

"No, I have to go run some errands for the apartment. When do you get off?"