HOW POOR ARE WE?

We have our 1st Online activity on our Vincentian Studies subj. In this activity, we have to make our very own reflection about this short story:

HOW POOR ARE WE?

One day, a father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the firm purpose of showing his son how poor people can be.

They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family.

On their return from the trip, the father asked his son, "How was the trip?" "it was great, Dad." "Did you see how poor people can be?"  asked the father. The son answered, "I saw that we have one dog and they have four."

"We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end."

"We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night."

"Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon."

"We have a small piece of land to live one and they have fields that go beyond our sight."

"We have servants who serve us, but they serve others."

"We buy our food, but they grow theirs."

"We have walls around our property to protect us and they have friends to protect them."

With this, the boy's father was speechless.

Then his son added, "Thanks, Dad, for showing me how poor we are."

Author Unknown

And here's my reflection:

According to Henry Ward Beecher, " Even the rich are hungry for love, for being cared for, for being wanted, for having someone to call their own. No man can tell whether he is rich or poor by turning his ledger. It is the heart that makes a man rich. He is rich according to what he is, not according to what he has." - for me, this is exactly what the story taught us. That we (the people) are rich in different aspects. Maybe those people rich in material things are lucky but those poor people that have God in their heart are blessed. See the difference between being lucky and being blessed! We should have a soul that never loses faith in God. Remind yourself that God is with you/us ever since the world begun. When life seems tough, go on! When things go wrong, move on! Bear in mind that God gives us strength to persevere (to become the person we wanted to be) and not to surrender! We must consider how very fortunate we are - that we are imperfect person loved by a perfect God! Complain less, count your blessings, breath more, see what God has done for you and never forget to say "Thank you" for what He provides you! I was taught since young that whether we are rich or poor, the most important factor in life is to be happy and be contented with what we have. You might be the richest person in the world BUT without a happy and contented heart, no food would be tasty to your mouth! Remember that a rich man without satisfaction/contentment in life is nothing but a poor man with money! We should realized that, "The most important things in life aren't things." Peace, faith, love, hope - keep them in your heart and be contented with what God has given to you. To make my reflection short BUT meaningful WE must remember this, "HE WHO IS CONTENTED IS RICH."

*If you have time, feel free to read that inspiring short story and make your own reflection too ^^