How I Came to be the Co-Founder

Ch.1 How I Came to be the Co-Founder

My name is Mason Deverough most people never knew me until after I graduated from Harvard. But let's start from the beginning. I grew up in Plainfield, Illinois. I lived in a small family, with my parents and one sister. Growing up I had one friend, Jacob Briggs. Jacob lived on the corner of my street. He came from Chicago when I was in the fourth grade. He needed someone to show him around the city so I did. We hit it off pretty well, I showed him all the popular spots, the good candy shops and all my favorite places.

When we went to school the next day I took him to the office to get his schedule. We had the same classes (I was in all the advanced classes because my teachers thought I was too smart for the regular classes) so it was great to have a friend in my class. We helped each other out with things we didn't understand. When we both didn't understand but we ran into blocks. I always sat with him at lunch and we would talk about what we wanted to do when we grow up, Jacob would say he wanted to be an astronaut or an FBI agent and I would just "oh" and "ah". I would always say I wanted to go to Harvard and become a biochemist. Jacob always said, "You can do anything as long you thought long and hard and work your ass off for it." He was a friend that I would have for a long time.

When middle school came we went to the same school. He had regular classes and I had advanced classes. So we didn't see much of each other; the only times we did were at lunch and walking home. On the weekend we would work on projects like model rockets and RC jets; our parents called us geniuses and everyone agreed.

In high school we went to rival schools. We were both in decathlon. When we competed against each other, I always won. I was on my way to Harvard with all AP classes. In my junior and sophomore years I was taking college classes. When I applied to Harvard they sent me my acceptance letter within two days. I went straight to Jacob's house and saw he got accepted into Yale. We celebrated our acceptances with our families. My parents couldn't be prouder of me I was there only son and was going to one of the most esteemed colleges.

In Harvard I double majored in computer science and engineering science. I was the top of all my classes. I competed in baseball, cross-country and track & field (I was the track star, 2nd best in cross country). I did this all the way to my senior year. When I graduated I was valedictorian of my class.

It was after college that Jacob called me with his idea of making a company of combining technology with different scientific developments. "Let's do it." I said Next thing I know I'm on a plane bound for New York. Our first attempts at products failed. It wasn't until I came up with the idea of applying maglev conductors to a car. We ran simulation after simulation until we got it right. It took us two months to do so but after we got it right we went and bought a car (a 1967 Chevrolet Impala.) When we were done the wheels flipped inwards and the maglev conductors worked. All we had to do was magnify the magnetic push to underground metal. In doing so we managed to get the car to levitate. The next car we did it with was a Delorean. When we brought them to the CES we made over a ¼ billion. Thus, brought the beginning of Briggs Consolidated with Jacob as CEO and founder, and myself as chief engineer and Co-founder. This is how I became the Co-founder of Briggs Consolidated.