Part Two

"My parents died in a car accident. Auntie tells me that the person who struck them with their massive truck was not feeling too well to drive, so he immediately lost control. I remember I used to blame him and feel so angry at him, but I couldn't any longer. He was just eighteen years old, just seven years older than me, and died in a coma. His family was so devastated, and I know how that felt like."

Brenden casually made random shapes with his finger in the air above him. He was laying next to Copper, who was nestled against his side in an attempt to stay warm. They were tucked away in Copper's bed, for a sleepover was requested from both of them. This was their first ever sleepover, after a year of Brenden visiting Copper most nights without anyone else knowing, ages now twelve and fourteen.

"...My f-father left the second he discovered that I existed. He said I would be too much of a hassle to handle, so he left my mother and brother to fend off for themselves, including four-month-old me." Copper took a shaky breath and turned away from Brenden. "I feel like it is my f-fault that my mother is so stressed, and my brother is always working hard outside of school, and I cannot even start public school."

By now, Copper's voice quivered harshly and tears stung his brown eyes. Brenden quickly pulled Copper back and held him, wrapping his long leg over Copper's much shorter ones.

"Your father is at blame for not taking the chance of living with such a gorgeous child, and also for leaving you guys behind. I'm sure your mum and brother will soon have things sorted out, because hard work always pays off."

He brushed Copper's long bangs aside and stared into his eyes.

"Public school isn't easy, and it'll be your first ever experience with it, unlike all the other kids who have probably attended it their entire lives. Sure, it's going to be difficult at first, but you will eventually get the hang of it and probably enjoy it. Plus, you will always have my undying support. You seem to forget that a lot." Copper gently rolled onto his side and snuggled up to Brenden, taking in a deep breath and relaxing his body. Brenden pressed his forehead to the backside of Copper's neck and closed his eyes.

A year later, thirteen and fifteen, Zinc finally agreed into allowing Copper to stay over Ellie's house in town during vacations. After Zinc dropped her son off at the doorsteps, Brenden excitedly yanked Copper inside and introduced him to every nook in his aunt's house. She was currently working, so she would not return until a later time.

"So what shall we do today, fair lady?" Brenden wiggled his eyebrows and beamed a goofy grin.

Copper snorted and playfully nudged him away. "Last time I checked, I am not a g-girl, and whatever you would like to do."

Copper has improved on not being so timid around Brenden, so he would not stutter as much and hesitate in messing around with him.

"Are you sure? I could swear you are the exact same image of a shy girl~" He chuckled lightheartedly and grasped Copper's hand. "Help me solve this treacherous jigsaw puzzle."

They entered Brenden's slightly untidy room, which still had a comfortable feeling to it. The simple red painted walls had been transformed into a sunset, the setting Sun plastered on the wall that was not blocked by any furniture.

"My mum helped me paint that when I complained about not being able to see the Sun set from my window. It's probably one of the best memories I have of her." Brenden smiled warmly and sat upon the rolling chair in front of his wide desk.

He then patted his thighs and smirked at Copper, who could not stop inspecting the detailed mural in fascination. Copper gyrated his attention to Brenden in a curious manner, instantly blushing when he realised what Brenden was indicating. Nevertheless, he decided to please Brenden and gingerly sat on his laps.