Japanese Demons Ch. 10

Okay, if you guys are curious, I'm uploading fast because I've finished half of the chapters and or I've finished writing them but didn't get a chance to upload them because I've been spending more time with my cousin than usual. C:

- Momo out.

-------------------------------------------------------

The words Bankotsu said hurt her, and caused her to think. Was she really any different? If she HAD been a little sister, would she have turned out exactly the same way? The hate and anger that burned inside her now against the men she traveled with festered inside, and she didn't know how to get rid of it. She was too small and helpless, but she knew if she were big enough to do it, she would have killed Touya at least. Was wishing any different from actually doing something? The intent was there, and if she could she knew she would have killed him.

However, now that she was sure how much she hated him, Touya changed. He stopped his painful tormenting, watched her with those self assured eyes and started calling her 'little sister.' It was almost as if Touya had been waiting for her to do something despicable to accept her. She felt like for him at least, Bankotsu's words were true and he thought he recognized something in her that he saw in himself.Momoko didn't reciprocate any of this friendliness because he gave her the chills. They all did.

She actually felt the safest with Bankotsu, because she knew what he was about. Genji would look at her with those eyes like Kogaratu's and Ryouji was so cold and calculating. Shinji would have weird mood swings, and she could detect a maniacal gleam in his eye. He liked to kill animals. He had to do it when no one was watching, but she saw him hamstring one of the soldier's horses once. No one could figure out who did it and she was afraid to say. He had seen her watching and just smirked because that was back when they all figured she was a mute.

Unfortunately, it was Shinji who was in charge of watching her today.

"C'mon brat." He said. Shinji had gotten into the habit of taking her to the outhouse before they settled down for the night. Right now she was treading carefully because his eyes were dull and when that happened he would switch from moody to raging mad in an instant over the most insignificant occurrence. Shinji had strange streaks under his eyes, almost like tattoos, and small pupils. He was taller than Bankotsu and had a thick build like Ryouji. She followed so quietly behind him that he checked a few times to make sure she was still there. In the outhouse she took care of her business while he waited outside.

"Hey you." A large soldier was coming towards him. Shinji watched him through uncaring eyes. He stopped him with one hand when he tried to enter the outhouse. The man leaned against him and breathed heavily into his face. "Who are you to stop me?" He slurred, his breath smelling of alcohol. "You stinkin' brigand. OUT OF MY WAY!" And with that blast of bad temper he sealed his death sentence. Shinji had with him at all times death claws made of iron that strapped onto his hands. Without further ado he stuck these into the soldier's belly, withdrew them in a second and slashed him across the throat. The soldier was dead before he hit the ground.

Momoko heard the uproar from inside the wood bathroom. She came out and watched in horror as Shinji slaughtered all the bystanders, his muscles bulging in his back and the veins popping out of his neck. She ran. Have to get away, have to get away, have to get away...She was running as hard as she could, when she felt a hand grab her from behind and she was being lifted from behind.

"Yo." Touya was strong for such a delicate-seeming boy. He was a head taller than she and had her completely up in the air. Her feet kicked uselessly as he raised her eye level. "Where did you think you were going?" He asked. He walked back to where Shinji was on his blood rampage. He watched as his older brother slew the last man standing, and turned to them, panting, a doglike grin on his face. "I think it's about time we go." Touya said. He put two fingers in his mouth and whistled, loud and clear. In an instant Bankotsu and his two other brothers appeared. Shinji slashed a rope connecting a line of saddled horses meant for the samurai and they made their escape.