Chapter 3

Her teeth grow sharp and pointy. Like fangs.

“Cleo!”

Her fingernails twist and grow longer and sharper.

“Cleo!! Nooo!”

She advances towards me. Her mouth opens  with a scream l so horrible  I w

wanted to scream with her.

“Cleo!!!!!”

I start sobbing.

“Cleo....” I choke out.

I do the last thing I ever thought I’d do. I unscrewed the waterbottle that the nurse gave me and doused Cleo with water.

She stands there, drenched, with a look of horror on her face.

“Cleo!”

I run to her.

“Cleo?”

She looks straight at me. She starts to breathe faster and she bites her lip so hard it becomes white.

“ I could’ve hurt you. I could’ve killed you, Katrina.”

“Cleo-”

“No.”

She looks straight at me. Her eyes are cold and hard. There are no tears threatening to run down her cheeks now.

“ You could be lying on the ground right now, dead.”

Her voice cracks. I can tell she’s thinking about the day her parents died. That day when her parents went for a walk in the woods. When a sudden storm swept down on this little town. When Cleo’s parents were never seen again. I struggle to find something to say that will make this nightmare end. I resist the urge to pinch myself, to make sure this isn’t a dream.

“Cleo, it’s not your-”

“Yes it is! Don’t you see?”

She looks straight into my eyes.

“ I’m a monster!’ She screams.

“ I’m a monster...”

And she runs down the gravel path that leads to our house next to the woods.