18 / sacrifice

Kim Jisoo

The man told me that the Emperor was in demand of my presence. I gulped hardly, knowing that the highest official around here wants to see me.  Although, I'm not certain about his plans, the Empress might have done something displeasing before, that the Emperor asked for her presence.

"Thank you. Expect me to be there," I breathed, almost crapping on my underwear.

"Oh, we will," the man sent me a haughty look, one corner of his lips raised before turning his back; leaving. The servants had bowed their heads lowly as he walked through, as if he was the King himself to deserve that much of respect.

Seeing such, my brow shifted. The man made me curious.

"Who was that person?" Eyes narrowed, I seethed.

The new head court lady bowed, before uttering. "He came from one of the wealthiest households around Goryeo; and a friend of our beloved Emperor."

"And you all fear him?" I asked the obvious.

"N-not at all," she answered, finding her shoes more interesting to pay attention to.

"Looks like he's got something up his sleeves," I raised from my seat. "Is he putting off a show?"

No one was answering and their faces lent me an anxious expression.

Watching them, I had barely stepped down from the stairs of my throne to chase that man myself when the maiden in front of me quickly encased my wrist with her hand.

"Y-your Majesty," the court lady weeped, kneeling quickly before me. "He's perfidious as I've heard, yet the Emperor is oblivious to this matter. He held our lives at stake just so we won't spread the news."

Hearing her speech, I looked down at her; eyes narrowed. She was bawling right there; and I'm not sure what urged me to do it but I gave her a hand that she sooner took in; and I helped her up.

"How long has this been up?" I interrogated weakly, eyes softened in empathy.

"Already a couple of months," she replied quietly, a trace of fear found within her.

"I shall meet the Emperor, then," I said, as if it was the most clever idea conceived.

Heechul, the chief guard, hastily took as step closer; bowing.

"I'm sorry to interfere Your Highness but the ruthless Lord might've planned a deceit to catch you in a trap," he says. "He might've anticipated this event already and took the Emperor with him as bait."

Nodding, I pondered as I took in the possible circumstances that might happen. Though, whatever that may be, I'll find ways not to fall for that peculiar man's plans.

"Heechul, Yoon-Ah," I beckoned moving my finger towards the two, "Escort me to the Wangyeon palace, now."

The head court lady quickly moved to the spot beside Heechul. They exchanged stares for a second and bowed at once.

"Will do under Your Highness' command," they said, gracing me with satisfaction.

Lee Taeyong