Repetitiveness

~Unblock the dam and it shall flow like a river~

When you write your Maze Runner fanfiction you want people to run towards it, like this:

Instead of running away from it, like this:

You want your words to flow and capture your audience, rather than make them hate it and cringe at how bad your writing is

Now I'm not the best teacher here, but I can try my best to explain the difference between what I like to read and what I don't, and I hope I speak for the majority of the readers out there as well.

But before I begin I just want to give credit to @-MissDaydreamer for requesting this chapter. I don't think I would have thought of it otherwise.

Here are two examples. One of bad writing that not many like to read, and one of good writing that most love to read... well, I assume so, but I can only speak for myself.

--Summer

BAD WRITING:

I walked into the Homestead. 

Newt was there.

I walked over to him. 

"Hello," I said. 

"Hey, Greenie," he said. "You need something?"

"Nah, I just came to see you. You seemed... down, that's all..." I said. 

"I'm fine. Get back to your job," he laughed.

I walked out.

Now, I'm absolutely positive that you know what's wrong with that.

GOOD WRITING:

I walked into the Homestead and looked around. Inside it was darker than I had expected. Newt was there, sat on the rickey looking stairs across the room, his head bent and his hands clasped in thought. 

I smiled, walking over to him and folding my arms. "Hello," I said, leaning against the wall.

"Hey, Greenie," he replied, glancing up at me. "You need somethin'?" 

I shook my head. "Nah, I just came to see you. You seemed... down, that's all..." I gave him a worried look and he chuckled. 

"I'm fine. Get back to your job," he laughed, giving me a playful shove as he stood up and started walking up the stairs. 

I frowned, still worried about him. He hadn't been himself lately... and I was afraid.

I shook my head, trying to get rid of the dread in my stomach, and walked out. 

~I would just like to add, saying "that's my writing style" when your writing is terrible, is not an excuse for using the same words over and over. It isn't a writing style, it's just bad writing~

If you can't think of another word use a thesaurus and find some. There's millions.

I hope this chapter helped...

But basically, if you're writing is like the BAD WRITING example, then... you have a lot to learn. Like A LOT! 

So my advice is:

Pay attention to books (real ones, not WattPad ones, because they can have mistakes in them) when you read them. It will help give you ideas and show you other interesting things. Words, punctuation, description, etc etc.

Use a thesaurus instead of being lazy and using the same word over and over.

NEVER EVER EVER use the word "whilst". Have you ever seen another book (a real book) that uses that word? No. So stick with the modern word "while" unless you're writing shakespeare.

Always add description! Even if it is in the middle of a conversation, you can still stop and describe something if it's important. God knows plenty of famous authors do it.

Always portray the emotions of the characters. If they're 2D then they'll suck. If you have trouble with this think about what it feels like when you're sad or hurt or whatever. It'll help.

Don't name your character something stupid. Because there's a lot of people who call their characters something stupidly long or just plain stupid and... it's not okay anymore.

I think that's all...

--Summer