Chapter 1

"Ayla! Where are you?" The irritation is audible in Isabella's voice.

"Here I am, Mother!" Ayla scurries out of her room, hastilly pulling a ribbon through her braid. She had been out in the meadows riding Summer, and had lost track of time. Now she was late. Again. Brilliant.

"You know what I always say, Ayla? Punctuality is-"

"-the mark of a royal." Ayla finishes.

"Oh, my darling. You know I'm only looking out for you?" Isabella loves her daughter so much but sometimes her untamed spirit is a bit much for the queen to handle.

"I know, Mother. I'm sorry." She stares at her toes. Then she remembers the present she got her mother. She brings her hand out from behind her back.

"I picked these for you." Ayla holds up a bunch of wildflowers. The dirt still clinging to the roots. They are brilliant shades of red and purple.

"Oh, they are absolutely beautiful, my little girl!" The queen takes the flowers and pulls Ayla in for a hug.

"Mom, I'm almost sixteen. I'm not a little girl anymore!" The scowl between her eyes is clearly visible.

"I know, pumpkin. I know." The queen says with a hint of melancholy in her voice.

She now wished that she just had more time. More time to try and protect her sweet, little girl.