III

I walked up a flight of stairs and found my locker, number 100. A lot of people were around me, but nobody was right next to me. In 9th grade we had to share lockers, it was nice to finally have room.
I opened my locker and put my coat inside, then stepped away quickly. Everyone had began to practice opening their lockers and a lot of them were next to me.
I pulled out my phone and pressed the home button. I'd made my lock screen a picture of my schedule so it wasn't that hard to look. We had advisory first hour, and Ms. Miller's class was right across the hall.
I walked inside and sat down in the back. Judging by what everyone says, she obviously does assigned seats. I wasn't looking forward to it at all. I put my phone in my backpack pocket and sat patiently.
Not a lot of students came into the room, I didn't pay much attention. Ms. Miller walked in not too long after and she smiled. "Great, I have one of the smaller advisories," she smiled to herself as she walked to her chair.
I looked down. She didn't seem like the bitch everyone made her out to be. Maybe it was certain students who pissed her off.
"Okay, I'm going to take roll, so when I call your name just say 'here' and if I miss pronounce your name, please correct me, otherwise I'll call you the wrong name all year," she said happily.
Of course it was in alphabetical order and my last name started with an H. Ms. Miller called the people before me, and when she got to the G's I cleared my throat.
"Marie Gadget?" Ms. Miller asked.
"Here."
"Corey Haim?"
"Here."
When I heard his name my stomach turned and I looked over to where his voice came from. He was sitting on the other side of the class by his friends from earlier.
"Haley Henderson?"
"Here," I said. Good, my voice didn't crack. I hated when that happened.
I looked down as she called the rest of the names. I looked over at Corey and he was staring at me. He always smirked, even when he was 'smiling'. Actually really really good looking to be honest.
I looked away quickly and looked back at the teacher. "Okay, I know a lot of you hate having assigned seats but I promise once I know your names, you can sit wherever," she said. "As long as it's next to someone who won't get you in trouble."
Everyone grabbed their things and went to the front of the class, so I followed. I knew everyone in here, but I wasn't very close to them. We didn't talk regularly.
Me. Miller began to call out the names of the students with the last name A, then B, and so on. I already knew who I'd have to sit by. And it didn't help that there were only two seats on the side we sat on, so it would be just the two of us sitting there.
"Corey, right here," she said. Corey smirked at his friend, Brady, who was already sitting, and sat down in the chair. "And... Haley, next to Corey."
I would have to sit by the window. I walked over to my seat and sat down. I silently laughed because I knew some girls would kill to be in my spot. When I sat down, I sighed and put my backpack under the table next to my legs. I looked to the left and saw Corey looking at me. It irritated me. "What?" I whispered. "Is there something on my face?"
I began to wipe around my mouth. Corey smirk smiled. "No, you don't have anything on your face," he said.
I nodded and tried to make it seem like I was trying to listen to Ms. Miller. But he wouldn't look away. "Hey, um, sorry about earlier. I didn't mean to make you mad."
I looked him in the eyes. He genuinely was sorry, I could tell. There was no point in acting like a bitch. I smiled. "It's okay, it doesn't hurt anymore," I said.
"Alright, good. I didn't want to seem like an asshole or anything," he said.
"It's okay. I don't think of you as an asshole," I laughed quietly.
"That's a relief," Corey said.
I looked past him at Ms. Miller and she walked back up to the front of the class. "Okay! So these are your new seats. If I have to, I will make changes," she said.
"What are we gonna do today? Stay in advisory all day?" Corey blurted out.
"Unfortunately for you guys, yes. I am required to make you all socialize even though you've been going to school together since 6th grade," Ms. Miller said.
"So we get to talk all day?" Corey's friend, Adam, asked.
"Basically. Just don't get too loud."
Corey pulled his phone out. "When do you have language arts?"
"Fourth, you?" I replied.
"Hey, me too. Did you see the assignment Mr. Venable posted?" Corey asked.
I shook my head. "Why would he post an assignment on the first day?"
"I don't know. But look," he said. He handed me his phone and sure enough, there was an assignment.
"Work on this in class all week with a partner," I read out loud.
"We could be partners," Corey suggested. "I mean.. if you want to be, anyway."
I covered my face as I laughed. Then I looked deep into his blue eyes. "Sure, I'll work with you," I said.
Corey smiled and looked down at his phone. Gosh he was actually such a sweetheart. Who knew?