Love Is A Bitch Pt. 2

The next day after school, Beverly dragged me to her house to get ready for Prom. She had spent a good ten minutes or so arguing with me about going. Why do I always lose arguments with her?

      "Beverly," I sighed as she rummaged through her closet. "I told you. I don't want to go."

      "Well that's too bad,"She whined. "Then this dress I got for you will go to waste."

      Beverly then held out a beautiful (F/C) dress and matching heels. My jaw dropped at the sight of it.

      "Bev! Why would you get me something like this?" I asked.

      "So I could convince you to go to the Prom," She answered. "Because there's no way I'm going to have my friend miss prom due to some perverted asshole."

      I looked at her with an unsure face. "How am I even supposed to pull this off? I don't even have a date! You know how strange that would be?"

      "Not as strange as you I would think," She replied. "A lot of girls go to prom alone and hang out by the snack table, and you know what's great about that?"

      "What?"

      "Guys without a date ask those girls out!" She squealed. "So this is basically your second chance to find a guy who's not as thick headed as Richie."

      I wanted to tell her how unbelievably stupid and boy-crazy she sounded, but her hopeful eyes that bored into my soul stopped me from speaking. Finally, my defenses broke and I tore the clothes from her hands.

      "Fine, I'll go, but don't expect me to just find another guy."

      She clapped her hands together excitedly as I walked into the bathroom. When I entered the bathroom, memories of cleaning this room of buckets of blood entered my mind. Beverly's aunt decided to move into this house with Beverly instead of having Beverly leave all her friends. Many good and bad memories here, in this house.

      I fumbled with the straps and strings of the dress until I finally got it on. Well, except for the stupid zipper on the back of it.

      I exited the bathroom with the dress loose around my torso. "Could you get the zipper for me?" I said as I turned my back to her.

      She nodded and moved my hair out of the way. As she pulled the zipper up, I could feel the dress become tighter around my midsection, but it was comfortable, like a hug. She turned me around to take a look at me in the dress.

      "You're absolutely beautiful in it, (Y/N)." I smiled and thanked her. "Now all that's left to do is your makeup."

      Before I could speak she pushed me to her bed and sat me down. She shifted through her makeup that she had out from doing her own. She began to apply makeup lightly to my face. When I asked her what she was doing she simply answered "a natural look" and continued on with applying makeup to my face.

      Soon she was done and was dragging me out the door where Bill picked us up and drove us to the school. The Prom was being held in the school's gym as all school associated parties are. There seemed to be no theme this year, the school counsel would argue on that, as different colored balloons and streamers were everywhere.

      Beverly was right about the snack table though. By the first five minutes or so, I had already made friends with the girls there. We shared snacks and stories as we laughed the night away; however, as the night continued on, my temporary friend group began to dwindle.

      That was something else Beverly was right about. One by one, each of the girls at the snack table were picked by a guy to be their Prom date or "just to dance" and were led off to the dance floor. Only I and a girl called Penny were left.

      Her and I had become good friends even if she seemed a little off at times. As her and I sat and talked about some of her favorite subjects, fate decided to fuck me over. I looked up from my red haired friend to see the one and only Trashmouth selecting snacks from the table.

      When I tried to continue my conversation with Penny, she had disappeared. Probably chosen by another guy without a date. I darted my eyes back to Richie to see him continue to stand there at the snack table and nibble on a cupcake. I glared at him and took a drink of my punch.

      Absentmindedly, I searched the crowd for the face of the girl that had won him over. As I did so, Richie slowly closed the space between us until he was standing right next to me. I took a sideways glance at him before continuing my drink.

      "Hey," He spoke awkwardly.

      I didn't look at him and replied with a cold "Hey." There was another moment of silence between us, but I didn't care. I wanted him to fuck off.

      He scratched the back of his head. "Care to dance?"

      "Fuck off, Richard," I knew he hated that name. I knew that name caused only pain for him. I didn't care at the moment.

      "Look, I know you're mad-"

      "Oh, really?" I spat sarcastically.

      He took a deep breath. "I got left."

      I took a peek at his face. His eyes seemed to think the ground was more interesting right now. I turned back towards the crowd.

      "And?" I asked.

      "And I now know how you feel," He paused. "All it took for her to leave behind was for her ex to come waltzing back in and asking her to dance with him."

      My eyes softened and I looked at him again. He was cute in his tux and his untamable hair, but that cute face was filled with sorrow due to some bitch.

      'He left me too,' I thought. 'Karma is getting him back for me.'

      Though, as much as I thought that, I would never wish it upon him for his date to leave.

      I sighed. "You're lucky I have empathy for you."

      "Please don't use big words," He whined. "I can never understand them."

      I held out my hand for him and, as fate would have it, a slow song started. "Let's dance, you idiot."

      He smiled. God, how I missed that smile. The smile I fell in love with and those eyes that are magnified with his big glasses.

      We danced and laughed all night long. I'm now glad that what Beverly said was true. If it wasn't, I would still be at that snack table, or worse, at home.

Sorry, this one took longer than expected because I didn't really know how I wanted it to go, but I hope you enjoyed!