Soulmates

soul mate
ˈsōl ˌmāt/
noun
noun: soulmate
a person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner.

They say that I'm too young to love. That I wouldn't possibly understand what love is until I've been put through the hardships of it. But, what does it feel like to love? I ask myself this question everyday. Is it to take care of your partner? To shower then with gifts and adore every aspect of them? In my eyes, Love is very different.

Love starts with hate. You cannot fully love a person once you overcome the things you dislike about them. You cannot love a person until you get over the fact that he snores when he sleeps, or doesn't wash his own dishes, or sleeps on your side of the bed.

Love is looking at your partner and seeing a true reflection of someone who you could spend the rest of your life with. At this point in time, this person is no longer your partner, but is your soulmate.

So what is a soulmate?

       Even if I had all the time in the world, I simple couldn't tell you. Because my soulmate differs from yours. We cannot identify a soulmate that meets all the same standards because that would mean we all feel the same way about them. A soulmate should make you feel special, one of a kind.

       Finding your soulmate is like finding out your favorite restaurant released a new dish. Exciting and unhealthy, well...if we were still talking about food. It's as if everything makes sense and you view everything differently. Almost as if you're taking a breathe of fresh air and you don't want to stop.

A soulmate isn't someone who has to shower you with expensive gifts. A soulmate is someone who knows what they have and gives you the best of it. It's not someone who you should feel lovey dovey with at all times, and put up a perfect facade.

       A soulmate is someone who has seen you crying because the amazing Carrie Fisher passed away and stayed with you all day to watch a Star Wars marathon. It's someone who will laugh at you and with you. A soulmate makes you feel as if you don't need to try to impress because you know they are happy with who you are and what you do.

       Finding your soulmate could take you half a lifetime or a few months. It can be someone who you bump into on campus, it could be your high school crush or even your best friend. If you have the pleasure of finding your soulmate, how would you describe it?

In my own words, to put it simply, a soulmate is your heart and nothing less. They love you unconditionally and want to treat you with the upmost respect. They'll love you despite your differences, whether it be race, gender, religion or appearance.

Because love is love, and love is never defined.