chapter 7 - entering the capitol

when everyone has said goodbye to Blye and Martial, they are hearded into the train and whisked away. i guess you would think that being the mentor of these children would be comfroting as we would get to spend every last minute working with them until the last few seconds entering the arena, but it doesn't, it makes it a whole hell of a lot worse.

~

we are sitting in the dining cart of the train and Blye speaks.

"My daddy told me that the only thing i have to do now is stay alive, will you help me do that lady?"

i am frozen. they are the exact words that Haymitch gave Peeta and I when we entered the arena in the 74th annual hunger games. 

"i'll do my best sweety" and with that i walk over to my dear Martial. all of those years in which our children asked and asked about the Hunger Games, and Peeta and I couldn't face it to tell them all about it. now he is going to be thrown into an arena with no idea what he will be up againt.

"Martial, hunny?"

he doesn't move. i sit down at the couch next to him and embrace his shaking body. what have i done?

"It's ok mum, i can hunt now. you taught me remember?"

"Hunny, im so sorry i never told you about the games"

"i understand"

Peeta comes over and wraps his arms around Martial and i and it takes all my strength to not show Martial how terrfified i really am. 

"Daddy, you and mummy will help me, i know you can. i believe in you"

Peeta and i have both started crying now but he composes himself enough to articulate his next words.

"Martial. no matter what happens, we want you to know that we love you so very much. never forget that"

and we sit there for the rest of the afternoon. taking in each others' embraces.