Chapter 3

"Our last goodbye was never said."
-unknown
—————————

"𝓨𝓞𝓤'𝓡𝓔 sitting with us at lunch right?" Jacob asked me as we were leaving the classroom.

"Uhm, sure I guess," I said hesitantly.

Stay away from him.

I can't get what that girl said to me out of my head. I'm sure she was talking about Jacob, but he and I are just friends so I'm not sure what she means.

"Is everything alright?" He asked, stopping in his tracks and looking at me with concern written all over his face.

"Yeah, everything is fine," I said with a smile. I lied but I don't want him to worry about me.

He looked at me with concern in his eyes but didn't press any further. I respected that. He knew that he wasn't going to get an answer, and didn't want to upset me by pushing it.

Walking beside me he slid his hand into mine, a slight blush crept up onto my cheeks and I could feel my whole face heat up. He squeezed my hand tightly

Walking into the cafeteria caused my anxiety to strengthen. The buzzing of student chatter filled my ears and the smells from the cafeteria food filled my nostrils. I guessed pizza was on the menu as I noticed a tinge of garlic and tomato sauce in the air.

I was still holding onto Jacobs' hand as we carried onwards and this caused many people we walked passed to stare. I could hear hushed whispers and conversations, I could see pointing fingers and side glances. It was making me more nervous than I already was.

"Oh my god are they dating?"

"I saw her have an anxiety attack earlier."

"Her with a guy like Jacob? no way."

"I told her to stay away from him."

I could see the girl from earlier talking with her friends. She flicked her platinum hair over her shoulders and her piercing green eyes bore into mine. Of course, Jacob would want her, she's beautiful compared to my dull black hair, pale skin and brown eyes.

"Guys," Jacob spoke. I turned and noticed that we had stopped at a table which contained the two other boys I had met at the funeral. " Alex is going to sit with us today."

"Ah Jacob, not even a day has passed and you've already got her wearing your clothes. Smooth." The black-haired boy of the group spoke up referring to the leather jacket I had wrapped around me.

"Miguel shut up," Jacob said with a playful laugh. "Plus I'm sure Alex is too innocent to think of it that way."

"Alex, how are you?" Calvin asked as Jacob and I both sat down.

"I could be better," I replied. "But I'm glad I have people to support me ." I smiled at the boys genuinely.

"What's your favourite food?" Jacob asked randomly, looking at me for the answer.

"I love breadsticks, I'll eat a whole bag of breadsticks by myself." I laughed.

"Do you want to go for dinner after school? It would be a great way for all of us to bond."

"I don't have any money right now, I can't afford to go out," I said, disappointed that I couldn't join them.

"I'll pay for you," Jacob said.

"No no, it's fine. Don't waste your money on me."

"Please." He spoke in a soft voice. "It's the least I can do."

He looked at me with a soft expression and took his hand into mine, making my face turn bright red. I nodded and turned to finish the rest of the meal I packed this morning.