Chapter 3

Maxim's P.O.V 

 I hadn't cared what my family had thought of his choices after a while - he was a man on his own, no restrictions and separated from the pack. While I was barely holding things together, the majority of the branch crashed and burned. It wasn't but yesterday ol' Viktor had come running to him to make use of his questionable contacts. So, while in the event of a family reunion his folks would surely crack racist remarks solely based on the bronze skin he personally found alluring, he would be silently plotting a dire consequence for their actions. Smiling all the while. "I have never met a woman like you before... I feel as if I am in a fairytale." My grin softened more so - if I could see himself in the mirror, I might see a stranger. "We have only just met, but I can tell by how I feel about you already. If you can believe me, I have... never seen eyes as bright as yours." Normally, I wouldn't have a strong opinion of someone after one encounter, but Mariana could coax me into riding the Sputnik like a surfboard - more or less. There was an innocence about her, a jubilance that he had wanted to... feed off of. As much as I wanted their meeting to last, this emptiness I was finally noticing to continue to be held off by this princess, I knew she had to leave. And I wouldn't hold her back. Patience had always been my strong suit, but I knew there would be anticipation for noon. Preparation. Maybe I'd go out and renew his wardrobe, or buy a cologne - he smelled of vodka and freezer burn... maybe a hint of peppermint from his toothpaste if he was lucky? As the sun relented and his skin was spared the burn, I too had noticed the scent of food nearby. It was familiar, but before today he hadn't acknowledged it. It was as if he had lived a beeline life, censoring his surroundings rather than taking note of them. Would aloofness be a trait so easily conquered? For now, the petite songbird in my arms gave me many different kinds of hope. It was overwhelming, exhilarating - but I knew nothing of romance. How to treat it, how to act. "I will be here. I will wait for you as long as it will take." I said to her as she withdrew and he was left with empty arms once again. Mariana's parting kiss had left a hint of colour on my cheeks, and I couldn't help but chuckle. Perhaps I would return the favour tomorrow. But for now, I let her walk, reciprocating her retort with a sing-song conformation as I turned to watch her leave. "I like you too."   

End of P.O.V