Chapter 1

Ryan was dead. Dead, and buried, and given life, only for me for murder him again.

But why, Sang? you're probably asking.

Well, that friend had turned my alarm off the night before, making the fifteen minute walk to my nine o'clock class a five minute sprint. I wasn't even able to eat breakfast!

The only upside was that most of the campus was empty, as most students were either in class or passed out. It made running across the grounds easier without having to continuously apologize to passeryby.

I thanked my past self who signed up for the class that Mrs. Glass, the professor of the class, was sweet as apple pie. She knew of Ryan's pranks and had grown used to them over the past few months whenever I was forced to be late. Maybe even enjoyed them, if the grin she tried to hide from me was any indication.

The chill in the air propelled me to go faster, the thin jacket I wore doing nothing to fight it off. I wanted to breathe a sigh of relief when I saw the brick building that I was headed to, but I didn't have enough air to do so. Instead, I did a celebratory dance in my head.

My book bag of three years slapped against my side and back with every kick of my legs, no doubt bruising slightly. I threw the heavy wood door open, my shoes squeaking on the tile. Stragglers were roaming the halls, a class or two ending, allowing more students to get in my way. My legs told me I was gonna regret the morning within a few hours.

I was forced to a stop outside of the room, the door cracked open for me, and took deep breaths, calming my racing heart and panting lungs. Others gave me strange looks as they passed, but no one stopped to talk to me and that was probably for the best.

It took a few minutes but eventually, and with mental promises to cause bodily harm to Ryan next time I saw him, I was able to even out my breathing and not look like I was about to pass out. I pushed open the door and stepped inside.

Mrs. Glass had the A/C on, allowing cool air to move around the room, offering a reprieve from the stuffy air of the hallway. The woman herself stood in the front of the classroom, leaning heavily against her desk. It was obvious she had been saying something before I had barged in and I gave her an apologetic look. Hiding an amused smile, she wobbled around the desk and sat down.

She was my height with strawberry blonde hair, tapered at her shoulders. She was dazzling with her heart-shaped face, the pale skin making the smattering of freckles over her cheeks and nose stand out. On a normal day, she was as petite as they come. Today, though, she was eight months pregnant, and obvious. The baby bump was covered in a floral patterned blouse, black tights over her legs. It was all she could fit in, she often complained.

"Nice of you to finally join us, Miss Sang," she teased, her voice energetic and calm, her delicate lips tipped upward at the edges.

"I'm sorry!" was my immediate response followed by, "It was Ryan's fault."

"Again?" All sets of eyes in the classroom were focused on us, wanting the class to continue. I knew they were all slowly getting annoyed with me, but I couldn't help it.

I nodded at her, letting my bottom lip pout a bit, hoping it would help her see my side. She rolled her eyes in a playful manner.

"Just take a seat so I can continue." Her hand went to her bump in an endearing way as I made my way to my seat, the plastic hard and unforgiving. My neighbors passed me dirty looks I ignored. Nothing I was able to do about them except ignore them.

Mrs. Glass leaned back in her seat, drawing away the attention of my classmates. Which wasn't that hard to do. Since her due date was coming up, everyone had been watching over her, never letting her do anything to strenuous, lest it hurt her or the baby.