Best Friends

Han Sanghyuk scrunched up his nose at his reflection in the mirror. Eyeing his meticulously ruffled hair, he bit his lower lip as he moved a few strands into place. His plain white t-shirt was loose on his lanky frame, not giving anything away about the beginning of a six-pack he was beginning to build in his weekly gym sessions.

"Hyuk-ah!"

Your voice outside the door startled him, his hand jerking a clump of hair and destroying his past 5 minutes worth of work.

He sighed.

"Ya, you just made me-" he stopped himself from admitting that his hair was actually styled, not wanting you to think he was more superficial than you thought. In reality you knew how much effort he put into making his hair look the way it did - no one in the world had naturally messy hair that was aesthetically perfect - but you let him continue thinking you didn't so as to not hurt his pride.

He cleared his throat, hoping you wouldn't prompt him to finish his sentence. "What is it?"

"Come out!" you urged him, a whine entering your voice. "You've been in there for the past hour!"

His chest tightened. He hated girls who were cutesy and tried using aegyo to get their way, but your natural aegyo never failed to make him melt. Damn you, why did you have to make me fall for you?

Shaking his head to clear his thoughts of how much he couldn't have you, he lazily replied, "Stop exaggerating. I've only been in here for 20 minutes," while pulling the door open to reveal you with your arms on your hips, glaring at him.

"That's still a long time to leave me out here alone you dumbass." You lowered your voice. "And besides, I don't know your bandmates. They're all out there on their phones not talking and it's really awkward."

"You've met them so many times already!" He knew his hyungs - with the exception of Taekwoon hyung, who was quiet anyway - were intentionally making it awkward; their way of teasing you. They were all probably on the group KaTalk chat talking animatedly about you while pretending to all be doing their own thing.

"For like, three minutes at a time when I drop by to pick you up on your days off. That doesn't mean we're all besties now." You hadn't dropped your glare and he pretended to wither under it but it wasn't having the effect you wanted at all - he actually thought you were cutest when your mouth was all scrunched up like that. The mouth scrunching always came with the glare, and if he was honest sometimes he annoyed you on purpose so he would be able to see that expression.

"Of course not." He draped an arm over your shoulders and started herding you to the living room. "We're besties. I don't want you becoming friends with Hongbin hyung."

"Why not?" Wrapping an arm around his waist, you looked up at him, inwardly marvelling that the pipsqueak you had known since kindergarten was now a whole head taller than you.

I don't want you falling for him. Hongbin was just your type and even though you had a boyfriend right now, that didn't mean you couldn't find him attractive and end up with him if your current relationship went south. "Uh, hyung's kind of a womanizer..." Sorry hyung.

You shrugged. "I can handle womanizers."

He cocked an eyebrow down at you skeptically. "You can handle womanizers but not a bunch of guys on their phones?"

"Oh shut up." You elbowed him hard in his side and he extracted his arm, needing his hand to rub at the sore spot.

"Can you not?"

"Nope." You grinned cheekily in response to the evil eye he was trying on you.

Reaching the living room, you were surprised to find that it was now void of people.