Realm of The Great Comet - 1811

Laila dashes up the spiral staircase of White Crescent Manor. Silk fabric, lace, and chiffon slink and twine between her petite legs with each step. She must reach the top to get past the whistling white blaze in the caverns below. Why did Inga choose Bodnar? Laila's amethyst glimmer threatens to engulf the Crescent's passages. No one must see her essence. Displaying her true heart now will result in pain. Pain for her sisters, pain for Inga, pain for Bodnar, her hero of Gold. Only he's not her hero. His scepter belongs to Inga now. It's Inga's emerald glimmer that envelopes the ancient hall of their ancestors. It's Inga's jade lips that touch Bodnar's. He can't be hers now. Ever.

~*~*~*~

Bodnar raises his head from Inga's delicate kiss to see into the blue eyes of the belle who chose him. Inga's mint scent eases into his space while snow-colored hair tangles with her emerald glimmer. White heat from the sacred theater flows from the Crescent's tail. Nikon stands at attention by his side. Bodnar's view follows the descent of his brothers lining the wall on one side of the grotto. One by one, they draw their sword in silent salute. First, Nikon's Platinum, Aran's Silver, Lir's Copper, Calvus' Steel, and last, his father's Iron. Inga's sisters take their positions opposite each hero. Except one lavender aura leaving the procession draws Bodnar's attention. Laila. Why is she leaving their ceremony? It's almost her turn to choose a hero.

~*~*~*~

Laila closes the door to her waterfall crest. Its soothing trickle dampens the last of her raging core. Ava's long ruby-tipped nails slip between the door and wall. "Laila, what's the matter with you? You left in the middle of the ceremony. The protector had to allow for postponement. The choosing is not complete."

"I had to."

"What do you mean?"

Her sister's red glimmer still shines from the ceremony and reflects against the clear water of Laila's crest. "Ava, why are you here? You picked your hero. You should be with him."

"Yes, I will be once the ceremony is complete. I'm happy to report I've chosen Platinum."

"Nikon? Ava, I had no idea you nursed a tender for him."

"You do know the tribute of the kiss was established by our forefathers for a reason." Laila has no desire to debate her sister's explanations for allowing all the King's sons to kiss her at every opportunity. "You should not have avoided the heroes' tributes while Inga expressed hers."

Laila's essence tightens its grip and strangles her from the inside out. If only her yearnings could have moved her to allow it. If only her fear didn't hold her back. If only the Decrees could be loosened. If only. She can barely speak. "Are any heroes left?"

"One. To be chosen at the conclusion tomorrow. And yes, he's yours."

~*~*~*~

Bodnar heads straight for the waterfall crests of the inner sanctum of White Crescent Manor. Its nooks and crests hide at random, but he knows exactly which one is Laila's. Exactly when it appears. They've been best friends since leading strings. Why would she leave their ceremony? She must choose her hero. He wants to share in the joy of her choice.

The door to Laila's crest forms in front of him and she exits the minute he reaches it. She's crying. "What's happened? Are you ill?"

"No." Laila shakes her head. "Maybe."

Bodnar wipes each tear away with his thumbs cupping her face between his palms. "What is it? Let me help."

Laila stares at the ground between them. Bodnar lifts her chin and looks in her eyes, amber eyes with hints of lilac. Her long lashes are damp from her tears and he cannot hold back from bestowing tribute to her violet lips outlined in black. The moment he does, he knows the answer to his question. Her kiss is not like Inga's or any of her sisters. It's want. Need. Desire.