The Romeo and Juliet Fairytale

While sipping my coffee and writing my entry Why We Have Girls, I started to question the writing prompt. Sure, a cliché was simple to write, but is it true? Curiosity got the best of me and I went out to ask people ages 10-43 the same question: Can people fall in love in one night?

Here's what they said:

"I think that you can because you could be friends, then you went somewhere, and as you spend more time with each other, you can fall in love." - Lillie, 10

"Yeah because there's this boy from my school that I've always had a crush on. His name is Timmy, and his hair is pretty cool and I always interrupt him while he's meditating at lunch and nutrition. [But can they fall in love in one night?] No, because they're sleeping." - Rachel, 12

"Yes, they can. One night is technically twelve hours, and that means you have twelve hours to talk and get to know each other. And if you just love their personality - and face - then you can fall in love with them." - Graceyn, 12

"Yes - depends on the night you know. It depends on the people and what they do on that night." - Norberto and Ed, 14

"No, because that's not enough time to get to know someone all the way through. It would take me, like, a really long time." - Breanne, 15.

"I haven't fallen in love in one night. I knew when I met my husband that I wanted to learn more about him, but we didn't fall in love right away. I know many people that have, though. My friends fell in love in one night and they have been together for forty years and they're still head over heels, ga-ga in love. So just because it hasn't happened to me, doesn't mean that it can't. So, I guess my answer is yes."  - Blair, 30.

"Yes. My husband fell in love with me without even talking to me. I would walk by, and he'd ask his coworkers, "Who is she? I love her." So yes, I believe attraction and love at first sight can happen. I mean, it happened in Romeo in Juliet. It happens in literature, it happens in real life. You can fall out of it just as easily, though." - Mitchell, 43.

Romeo and Juliet. Cinderella. Sleeping Beauty. All of these stories have shown us the fantasy of love at first sight. Are they really just fantasies, though? Many people think so, and some don't. While talking to everyone, it felt like picking off the petals of a flower. Yes, no. He loves me, he loves me not.

We have an obvious winner to our survey, but that doesn't mean that we have been given a 100% answer. Though the controversy hasn't officially rested, we can agree that for someone people the clichés are merely clichés. For some, it's more than just that, though. They're dreams come true.