Granny Grogan

I explained everything to Mum in the car on our way home from Slatterry’s office (apart from The far House.)

By the time we reached home she was shaking with anger, sadly some of it directed towards Ryan, “It’s un-just PJ. Ryan should be punished as well. You’re being used as a scapegoat, I’m not happy, I won’t let this go.”

My anger was all for Dawna, I know how persuasive she could be; she’d no doubt convinced Slatterry that I was some kind of femme fatale. But it was something else that Slatterry said that bugged me. He'd referred to Ryan as 'the son of a visiting dignitary.' I wondered why Ryan hadn't told me this himself.

I went to my room, feeling flat and empty; with a horrible restless feeling – like when you've lost something you really like – kind of angry/sad. 

My mind mulled over things: Mum's right, Slatterry's wrong to punish me like this; then again lots of things are wrong in Craghan. That shop woman's  wrong on every level. She knew for sure that Ryan and I were doing nothing of the sort; a real wicked witch, a proper vicious spoon stirrer. I had a surge of anger – should I go over to Balinna and tell her that I know she's bullying the Grogan's? No. I guess that would only back fire on me. Suppose I have to lay low for the week.

I love school, I’ll miss it – and miss Ryan more.

I logged onto facebook, hoping Ryan had private messaged me – he hadn't. He'd accepted Dawna's friend request though. Despondent; I started to imagine all kinds of intimate messaging going on between them. I was a fool to even think Dawna wouldn't get her way. To ad insult to injury she'd un-friended me. I so didn't deserve that.

I looked back through Ryan's timeline, looking for any clues as to who his parents might be. Nothing, just pictures of Ryan and his ridiculously good looking friends, frolicking in the enviable Los Angeles sunshine. I glanced out my window: dull, grey, depressing. 

Slamming my lap top shut, I grabbed a magazine from my dressing table. I needed distraction, anything to keep my mind off Dawna and Ryan. I suppose he's told her all about The Far House; but then again, she's probably a more willing partner in crime than me. I was a little too cautious, careful not to get into trouble, miss goody two shoes – and look where it got me.

I flicked through the pages, seeking diversion from my own thinking. A cosmetic advertisement caught my eye, one of those models, so perfect they make you feel flawed. 'Unlock your inner glow' the headline promised, with a sample attached to the page. I tore it open and spread the beige cream on my face. As I blended, I recalled Mum asking me if I was a lesbian one Sunday afternoon, "Well, you're just not interested in girly things, like make-up and stuff. No harm in asking is there?" I chuckled, that's Mum, open and honest to the core. 

I checked my reflection – impressed; my complexion looked bright, not pasty. It also enhanced the blue of my eyes.  In the bathroom, I raided Mum's make-up bag and applied mascara for the first time in my life.  It made my eyes ping open, large and doll like – this was fun. I'd never lingered over my looks like this before – was I as plain as Dawna said? With a little helping hand, perhaps not. 

I was so deep in my own reflection, it took a while to register Mum calling  – "Paula, come down, you have a visitor."

......

Who could this be, I wondered as I bounded down the stairs. "Hey – suspension suits you Paula, you look great," said Ryan with his glowing smile.

Oh My God. My tummy tumbled, butterfly’s fluttered. I bumbled, "Oh – hi, thanks Ryan – what are you doing here?" I asked, not realising it sounded rude. "Charming!" said Mum with a sarcastic smile.  "Erm, no, I mean – shouldn't you be at school?" He fixed me with an 'are you mad' look, "Of course I shouldn't be at school, I'm taking the rap with you." I feel suddenly guilty, "Did Slatterry suspend you too?" He smiled, "No, I suspended myself; for two weeks, cos skipping school was my idea, therefore I'm guiltier than you, and should be punished accordingly."