Chapter Three

I woke up to a steady beeping noise. I lifted my hand up to my face where a tube was wrapped around my ears, delivering a stream of oxygen that tickled my nose. I looked at my hand, where an IV was taped.

Aaron was sitting in a chair by my side, his face resting on his sweatshirt that was pressed against the side of the hospital bed. I was immediately filled with guilt. He looked so uncomfortable, but he looked so peaceful sleeping.

I placed my hand in his and closed my eyes to try to go back asleep, but he started stirring, and I turned my head to look at him.

He lifted his head, dark circles under his eyes.

"Darby," he whispered, getting up wrapping his arms around my body. I took a deep breath and inhaled his scent. He kissed my cheek and then laid his head on my shoulder again.

"What happened?" I asked, my head still fuzzy.

Aaron bit his lip.

"It wasn't your fault. They should have delayed the races..." he began. "You were skiing down the hill blind. You hit a pole and the wind whipped you around. You hit the fence and...."

His eyes got watery and I put my hand on his cheek, cradling his head in my hands.

"What's wrong?" I asked, trying my best to keep my voice steady, but I felt like crying.

"Your leg... it got all tangled up. You cut it on a rock after you flew off course, and then got it tangled up in the fence. You shattered your tibia, fibula, kneecap and tore all of the ligaments in your ankle down and your leg got all wrapped in the fence..." he took a deep, rattling breath. "You're leg was in the fence too long... it cut off all the circulation from your shin down and-" he began crying and a lump developed in my throat.

"And what?" I asked quietly.

"They think the leg is dead," he whispered. Tears flooded my eyes.

"What does that mean?" My voice cracked, and a tear slipped down my face.

"They were waiting for you to wake up to run further tests but... they're most likely going to have to..." he choked on the words, "amputate."

My world started spinning. This couldn't be happening. I squeezed my eyes shut, willing myself to wake up from this nightmare.

"No. That can't happen. It can't," I murmured. "I can't. They can't. You can't let them. You can't Aaron."

I let myself melt into his arms, sobs wracking my body. Aaron climbed in the bed with me, careful not to move my leg, and wrapped his arms around my chest. I buried my face into his shoulder, and he placed his chin on top of my head. I could feel his tears wetting my hair, but I didn't care. My world was crashing down around me.

"I see you're awake. Is this a bad time?" A doctor asked from the doorway. I lifted my head and wiped my face with the back of my hand. Aaron sat up as well, but didn't move from my side.

"No, please come in," I sniffed, my voice thick with tears.

"How're you feeling?" The doctor asked as he moved across the room.

Seriously? Did he seriously just ask how I was feeling? I just found out I may never to do what I love again, and he's asking how I'm feeling?

But I nodded. "It hurts, but not too bad."

My leg could never hurt as bad as my heart does right now.

"We can adjust your morphine doses," the doctor nodded.

"I'm Dr. Montgomery, by the way, and I'll be your orthopedic surgeon," he said, extending his hand. I took it and gave it a half-hearted shake.

"You've had two surgeries already to put some pins in your leg to keep it stable for now, but we couldn't do any more until you were awake so we could do some further examinations," he gave me a sad smile.

"Darcy, I'm sorry to say that we hope for the best, but it's not looking promising for your leg," he placed his hand on my arm lightly.

"But don't worry, I'm very good at what I do, and I promise that we will do everything to save that leg, and we will not amputate unless we are 110% sure that is the only option. I'm sorry, Ms. Quinn."

"When can we start the tests?" I asked quietly. I wanted to get this over with as soon as possible so I didn't have to sit for days, waiting to know whether I would be able to keep my leg or not.

"Well, we were actually going to start as soon as possible, so if you'd like we could start now. Or, if you'd like some time to take in this news, I understand. It's completely normal to need time," Dr. Montgomery answered.

"I want to start now. The sooner we get results, the better," I said.

"Dar-" Aaron started, but I took his hand and looked his in the eye.

"I'm fine. I just want to know as soon as possible."

"Alright then, I'll get some nurses in here and we'll start testing now," Dr. Montgomery said, and I thanked him quietly.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Aaron asked. "You heard him, he said it's completely normal to need time, and you're still-"

"Aaron," I stopped him, putting my hands on his cheeks. His eyes dropped to look at his lap.

"Look at me," I whispered. Slowly, his big green eyes raised up until they met mine.

"I'm okay. I promise. Besides, we don't know anything for sure right now. Nothing is set in stone. Until it is, I'm okay," I assured him, but at the same time, I was still trying to assure myself.

"Okay," he murmured, placing his hands on my shoulders. I rested my forehead on his and our noses touched.

"I love you," I told him.

"I love you too," he said softly. Nurses came into the room with a gurney.

"Are you ready Ms. Quinn?" One of them asked.

"Yes."