A Night to Remember

Dedicated to @aileenshannonkarl- You mean so much to me, more than you'll ever know <3

...you were stealing my heart
I fell in love in the back of a cop car  

**

"Yeah, okay, this isn't working." I laid on my back, staring up at the ceiling trying to unwind from a hectic day at work. I thought doing a bit of yoga would help, but I've been laying here for about twenty minutes now and there's just no way I can make my body twist and bend. As I got up to put my work out stuff away, I made a vow to spend some time with my equipment this weekend... Maybe.

My stomach growled as I walked towards the kitchen. As I opened the fridge to look for some food, my phone buzzed on the counter. My face immediately lit up when I saw who was calling. "Well, hello there young Ryan Blaney," I cooed into the phone, "and what do I owe the pleasure of hearing your fine voice this evening?"
"Just wondering what my girl, Aileen, is up to tonight."

"Your girl is about to have a hot date with Ben & Jerry." I pulled out my favorite flavor of ice cream out of the freezer and ripped off the lid. "Besides, what fine evening are we talking about here? It's Valentine's day. You know how much I loathe this holiday." I pulled out a spoon and dug into the ice cream.
"Did you just moan?" Ryan laughed.
"Uh, yeah, like I said, hot date with this pint of strawberry cheesecake. You know how I am about my Ben & Jerry's, they really know how to pleasure a woman." Ryan laughed again, and I couldn't help but smile, he had such a joyous laugh.

"Speaking of hot dates. What do you say about trading in that spoon for the real deal?"
"That's a no."

"Oh, c'mon!"

"Ryan, no. The last jerk you set me up with was trying to play tonsil hockey when he kissed me. Ugh." I shuddered at the mere memory of the last guy Blaney set me up with. He was so sweet and good looking, but then he kissed me. It was so horrible, I thought he was trying to swallow me whole. "So whatever double date idea that you have in your head, just forget about it. I am not subjecting myself to that, especially tonight."

"What if I said it was me?"

I stood up from leaning against the kitchen counter, not sure if I heard him right. "You?"
"Yes, me, Aileen. I'm asking you out on a date," he said it so casual that it seriously took me off guard.

"I, um." I was officially lost at words.

Blaney and I have been friends since I can remember and never once have I ever thought of him that way. We've gone out countless as times as friends, but on a date? "Don't overthink this," he suddenly pleaded, like he knew my mind was suddenly going a million miles a minute.

"Aileen, I'm officially inviting you to the Penske Gala. It's down at the Hall of Fame tonight. There's going to be a live band, five course meal and a dessert buffet. I also have to give a speech for the upcoming race season and I would love to have my bestfriend by my side."

I stood in my kitchen completely shocked, "you're inviting me to a work event? You usually fly solo."

He was silent for a moment, then he sighed, "I just really want you by my side. You're always there for me when I need you, and for once, I want to show you how much that means to me. To be honest, I'm really nervous about tonight and I know if you're there with me, I won't be so much." My heart gave a little leap at the last part.

"You really want me there?" I was still in shocked he was asking me. Going to an event with the Penske organization is a huge ordeal. Not just anybody gets an invite, and Ryan was known for flying solo, he has been for the last few years.