Chapter One

Dark.

That is all I can see right now.

I desperately blink a thousand times a minute trying to clear my eyes so I can see again. It's no use.

I sit up on the hard metal bed. Springs creak and I hear coughing from my right.

I am in a room with other people. How did I get here?

I try to bring back any memories I may have. None come. All there is of my past is a big empty hole.

I feel tears well up in the corners of my eyes. I can't even remember my own family. Surely the other people in this room are the same way.

I lift one leg off the bed and then the other. I am sitting on the edge of the bed now. I slowly lift myself up so I can stand. Once I'm standing I gradually make my way over to a bed.

But there isn't one there.

I bump into some glass. I press my hand to it to see where it stops. I start to walk across the wall of glass, mu palm still pressed against it until I reach the intersection where two walls meet.

It is the same all the way around the room. There's not even any grooves indicating there is a door.

I plop back down on my bed.

I try again to bring back a single memory. It's like running into a wall. A brick one. I can't even remember my name. I sigh.

Suddenly, light flicker on in the corner of the room.

I look in that direction, relieved that I can see now.

A woman sits on a chair in the light.

She has her hands clasped together in her lap.

A food tray sits next to her on a side table. On it is a plate filled with steak.

I suddenly realize how hungry I am.

The woman sits there silently, occasionally checking the gold watch around her wrist.

Finally, she speaks, "how are you?"

I pause. I don't even remember what my own voice sounds like.

"What is this place? I ask in a raspy voice.

The woman purses her lips and says the words that will change my life forever.

"This is your home."