I). Past Connections

“(Y/N)!” You heard a familiar voice, and your first reaction was to sigh. The pounding of worn shoes on the pavement behind you was audible through the cheap headphones on your head as you walked down the block. Regardless, you kept walking when you felt saw a tall figure in your school colors from the corner of your eye. A breeze blew around you as you looked up to his face.

“Oshi…?”

“(Y/N)! I’ve grown tall since the festival, huh?! I’ve missed you so much,” he suddenly hugged you and picked you up, squeezing the stuffing out of you like a teddy bear.

“O-Oshiru! Let me go… Please!” You struggled against him. He may have gotten taller, but you weren’t surprised. His father was also extremely tall, but you didn’t think he could grow six inches within just a few months. He soon let you back on the ground, and you resituated yourself with another light sigh, pulling your headphones off as he began to ramble. You half-paid attention as you walked, looking at the ground as your music was still somewhat audible on your neck.

“Hey, (Y/N)! Guess what?! I asked my parents if I could transfer to your school this year, and they said yes! Well, technically they didn’t… I forged their autographs, but they aren’t even around to tell me no, so it all worked out--”

“...You forged your parent’s autographs?!” You asked, taken aback for a second.

“Hey! Maybe paying twenty-two thousand yen for tuition will jog their memory that I’m still alive...” he said, knowing that you’d already probably tuned him out again, scuffing his foot on the sidewalk as you two came to a corner.

“Well, I’ll see you around.” Cutting the awkward conversation off short, you rounded  the corner to the left as he looked at you. Beginning to walk the other way, and he grabbed your sleeve.

“School’s that way, right?” He pointed, and you took your hand back with a questioning look before walking on again.

“I’m going to pick up my boyfriend,” you replied almost instantly without a second thought. Standing in shock for a second, staring at the ground, he soon called out to you again.

“B-Boyfriend, (Y/N)?” His voice shook as he caught up, and he sniffed some in shock as you smiled lightly with a sigh. “Y-You didn’t… Tell me anything about… A boyfriend.”

“Yeah, because it’s none of your business.”

“Yes, it is!” He replied a bit loudly, making you wince slightly. He didn’t speak any more than that out of embarrassment, but you were already somewhat tired of him being there. You knew he’d always had a crush on you, but you two had split paths over the summer and his affection was cute, but it was getting old. Sure, he would go to the same school as you now, but you had other friends that you’d hang out with now. Not meaning to hurt him, you just wanted to lose the notion that he had a chance with you when it was clear that you had a boyfriend. He meant well, but Eiji was more your type. Oshi was hyperactive and unstable, but you’d still be his friend.

“Hey, Oshi?”

“Yeah, (Y/N)?” He asked, hopefully looking at you.

“Don’t take this the wrong way… but can I walk with Eiji to school today… alone?” You asked as gently as you could, and his eyebrows furrowed. Every single word you were saying was like a knife into his heart, and it seemed like at every opportunity you twisted it in harder. He suddenly stopped, his eyes burning into the pavement while his fists balled, his fingernails digging into his palm. You slowed, turning to face him before approaching him slowly. ”Oshiru…?”

He turned away, storming off. Calling after him a few times, you soon watched him leave. You hadn’t asked much, and you knew he’d probably hurt for a while, but in the end, he’d come around; you knew he would. He was zealous, and it was for the best. He needed someone better than you, and definitely, someone who could handle his mood swings. You didn’t think anymore of it-- your infatuation was more important at the moment.