One │ Lauren

Fuck, what a night.

What started as a fun evening with my friends at one of New York City's hottest nightclubs turns into a nightmare. I storm out of the Avalon to get some desperately needed fresh air. My eyes fall closed as I lean against the wall and let out a slow breath, welcoming the chilly February air on my burning skin.

Dammit, I need a drink. Or better, five.

"Lauren?"

My eyes fly open and land on my best friend's worried face.

"Are you okay? What's wrong?" Amy asks, resting her hand on my forearm and giving it a squeeze.

I grimace, struggling to shove what I just witnessed into the far corners of my mind. "Why did I agree not to drink any alcohol tonight?"

"Oh, hun." She crinkles her nose. "You didn't have to pass on drinks to do me a favor."

I wave off her remark. "It sucks to be the only sober one, but right now, I wish I were hammered." My pounding heart agrees, and I rub my chest to get rid of the tightness that spreads through my body—to no avail.

"Why are you upset? Talk to me."

Amy's soft voice and comforting touch do nothing to ease the agitation. With a slow shake of my head, I swallow the painful lump in my throat. "They kissed," I whine, unable to handle the emotional chaos that swirls inside me.

Amy chuckles. "Ah, I see."

My gaze snaps to her, and I furrow my brows. "Why is that funny?"

"Oh, Lauren." With another soft laugh, she pulls me into an embrace and rubs my back. "We can finally cut the crap and talk about your feelings for Henry."

I snort. "There's nothing to talk about. He has other things in mind. And his mouth."

Amy releases me from the hug and narrows her eyes at me. "But you admit you have feelings for him?"

I run my hand over my face, not worrying about ruining my makeup. "No. Well, maybe. I mean—fuck, I don't know."

My best friend grasps my hand, directing her piercing stare at me. "But I know. It's the way you look at him."

The way I look at him? What does that even mean? Henry is one of my closest friends and has been for over a year. I don't look at him differently.

Amy's laugh tears me out of my thoughts. "It's true; don't deny it. You two have been dancing around each other ever since I met you, and whenever I bring up the topic, you evade my questions. Why can't you say it? Why can't you acknowledge your feelings for him?"

With a deep sigh, I close my eyes and ponder Amy's question. Is there anything to acknowledge? Do I have feelings beyond friendship for this man, who always makes me feel at ease in his presence?

Again, my pounding heart agrees. "Because," I say, eyes still squeezed shut, "it scares the shit out of me. We all know Henry's reputation and that he isn't likely to settle down with one woman."

"Whoa, who's talking about settling down? How about one step at a time?"

A hearty laugh escapes me. "Please," I say, meeting her gaze, "let me in on your knowledge of taking it slow, you with your boyfriend of five months, being four months pregnant."

"Hey!" She shoots me a glare as she places her hand on her growing belly. "Boyfriend of six months."

I raise a single eyebrow as she keeps glaring, but her lips twitch. Staring contests are my favorite, even though I'm not good at them, so I'm the one who bursts out laughing first. "I'm sorry, Amy. You know what I mean."