Chapter 4 : Warning

"Skylar, I don't think this is a good idea... your parents already lost a daughter, they don't want to lose another one." Grayson takes turns after turns, not really knowing where to go. We've been driving through the empty streets for the past ten minutes... and arguing is all we seem to do. He can't possibly understand what I'm going through. All of this is getting the worst of me. It eats me alive... it devours my soul piece by piece until nothing remains.

"That doesn't concern you-"

"Pretty sure it does if we run away together." he cuts me off and eyeballs me for a brief second before looking back at the road ahead of us. I cross my arms firmly over my chest.

"They should've thought about it earlier. They knew how I felt about this..." I mumble while looking out my window.

"And what about Carrie?"

"Carrie's dead, Grayson! And you're an idiot if you haven't realized this yet." I snap my head to him, tears on the edge on spilling down my cheeks. I harshly bite onto my bottom lip, swallowing back the sorrow growing stronger inside of me by the minute.

Could he not see it? She disappeared two weeks ago and never came back. Never called. Never showed up to neither of our front doors. It's like she completely vanished. And that's nothing like my sister. If anything, she would've texted me and telling me not to worry, that she was okay.

But no. She never texted me anything, never reassured me that she was safe and sound. She was gone forever and I needed to move on and forget about her.

I close my eyes softly and pass a hand over my face as I heave a sigh. I peek through the cracks between my fingers and look at him. His eyes are glassy, tears threatening to spill at any moment. I remove my hand and tilt my head back slightly, my gaze not moving from him.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have... I just... don't know what came over me." I exhale, breaking the heavy silence.

"You're overwhelmed by your emotions... You shouldn't give up on her like that. At least I know I'll keep hoping until she comes back."

"But she's never gonna come back!" I get surprised my the saltiness coming in contact with my mouth. It's only then that I realize I'm crying.

"If it would've been Ethan", he raises his voice over mine, "would you have done the same?"

"It's different, Gray. Ethan is my best friend. You hated my sister..." I state and he gives me one of these looks.

"That's not tru-"

"Oh cut the crap. You hated her for breaking your brother's heart. I know that deep down this whole situation doesn't affect you more than it should."

I know I'm right about this. Grayson was so angry when she broke up with his brother. Ethan locked himself up in his room for days, not daring to step out of the darkness. Grayson stayed with him the entire time; they even slept in the same bed to keep each other company.

Nothing new, anyways. They always sleep in the same bed whenever one of them is anxious.

"Skylar!" Grayson's voice shakes me out of my thoughts. I snap out of it and glare at him.

"What!?"

"I love you and I love her because she's your sister. I will protect your family at all costs - even if my life is at risk - so don't you dare to give up on her right now."

I seal my mouth shout, my eyes not leaving him. His cheeks turn into a shade of crimson because of the anger. Or maybe is it disappointment...?

I'm a disappointment to everyone. My friends, my family... everyone. I'm never good enough. I'm never above people's expectations...