fourteen

The sky was dark by the time me and Thomas left the Med-Hut for our punishment. The starts above us had come out in full force, something I never really noticed before. I guess I was always too tired to pay attention to it. The light from Gally's torch was bright next to us, lighting the way down the dark path to the Pit.
I'd always hated the Pit, ever since it was built. It wasn't built very long after I had arrived, since there was never really a need for it. When boys with anger issue started to come up in the Box, we needed any way to keep them in line. So we all unanimously decided on a makeshift prison that filled with spiders.
The Pit was essentially a hole in the ground tucked away in a corner of the Glade, made up of hard packed dirt and some stones that used to come up in the Box. It had increased in size since it was first built thankfully, moving from one small hole to a few medium sized holes. The doors were made out of bamboo rods tied together with thin rope, with a 'lock' made up of two shorter pieces of bamboo that a piece of thicker string wrapped around tightly before nestling into a small notch. It was surprisingly sturdy for something so haphazardly put together.

Gally didn't speak to us as we walked, simply moving at a normal pace through the grass. When we finally got to the Pit, Gally still didn't speak. All he did was open the door and turn around. Thomas stopped before he got in.
"What is your problem with me? Ever since I got here you've been against me."
"Don't take it personally. He's like that with everyone, except for his meat head builder buddies." I crossed my arms over my chest, Gally shooting me a look but choosing to ignore my statement.
"Everything went wrong as soon as you showed up here. Ben got stung, then Alby, and then that girl shows up here. She obviously knew you, and there's no way you aren't hiding something about her." Gally pointed towards the hole again, Thomas reluctantly climbing inside. I went to follow but Gally pulled me back. "No. I can't trust you two not to do something in there together."
"What, you really think me and Thomas are gonna have sex or something? You're being ridiculous."
"No. I'm talking about planning...whatever the hell it is you two are gonna do next." He bent down, closing the door to Thomas' pit and latching it. I just laughed.
"Again I say, being ridiculous." He stood up and grabbed me by the arm, walking me down two cells and stopping. "You are absolutely delusional, you know that?"
"And you are absolutely naive."
"How the hell am I naive?" He whipped the door open, making a loud sound as it hit the other side.
"Because you still think we can get out of here. You still think that there is something in that maze that will get us out. I. Am not. Delusional. I just know when to give the hell up." The sound of desperation in his voice almost made me almost feel sorry for him, a small bit of regret bubbling up in my stomach.
"Gally-" He grabbed my arm and shoved me into the hole, my legs hitting hard against the tightly packed dirt. I let out a small yelp, hearing him slam the door shut, tie it, and walk away.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After about two hours sitting alone in the dark, I saw a faint light approaching from a little bit away. I stood up and strained to look, following the movement of the light as it got closer and closer. When the person holding it finally came into view, I immediately recognized the small silhouette of the small, kind boy who'd stuck by my side since he came up in the box.

"Chuck, what are you doing here?" I noticed the large bundle of items in his hands, laughing as he tripped over his own feet and dropped a few things.
"Well, since you have to run tomorrow there's no way you can go on an empty stomach." He handed me a bundle of food and some water, my hands reaching to eagerly take it from him.
"You could get into alot of trouble for this yah know." I opened the bundle, taking a bite of the sandwich inside.
"Well, that's a risk I'll take." There was a small silence between us before he spoke up again. His voice was small, almost meager. "Do you think you guys will really find something out there tomorrow?"
"I don't know Chuck. I don't really know." I zoned off for a bit, snapping back into reality. "I mean, I'm hoping somethings out there. But we both know that hope is what gets you killed in a place like this." I ate more of the sandwich, watching as Chuck stared off.