Prologue

Prologue

  Bright, blinding sunlight. I opened my eyes fast and shot upwards, immediately cringing at the sunlight seeping through my blinds. Rubbing my eyes wearily, I sat upright until my eyes adjusted to the sudden change in lighting. I quickly glanced at my alarm clock and saw the time. It was eight, half an hour until I had to leave for school. Sighing, I got up and wrestled a pair of tight skinny jeans on, remembering what had me so scared that caused me to awaken so suddenly. I had had another vision during the night, this one was so frightening because it was of my brother. He was waving goodbye to me as he was holding the hand of a mystery girl and walking away. Out of the blue, a large truck appeared and hit him and the girl. There was screaming and crying, coming from them as they lie together on the side of the road covered in blood. People began to circle around then, but instead of helping, they began to point and laugh. I tried to run to them, but everytime I took a step they got farther and farther away. The thing that caused me such panic during the vision, was the last thing I saw. The mysterious girl appeared in front of me out of context and smiled at me, still covered in blood and visibly broken bones. Her appearance was so sudden that I was startled awake. I often had weird visions, but this one was terrifying.
  After getting my light blue shirt and skinny jeans on, I walked across the hall to my bathroom. My house was two-floored with stairs. Upstairs was my room, whom I shared with my twin brother, and my sister's room. My sister was only twelve, but she was very smart. She liked most generic girly things, and had a cute beanie baby collection sitting on her shelf by her bedside. Her room was pink, the walls decorated with blue flowers, and her rug was white and blue stripes. Her blankets were a Cotton candy pattern, and she always had her ceiling fan on. I peered into her room as I was passing to go to the bathroom, and smiled to see her sitting on her bed eating a lollipop and reading a book. Although I was a junior in high school, she was the one I went to with advice. She was very mature for her age, and sometimes I'd consider her smarter than me. I continued on to the bathroom and fished my brush and paste out of the cabinet. Quickly cleaning my mouth, I located my hairbrush by the bathside and grabbed that. I smiled at myself in the mirror as I began brushing my hair. My hair was fairly short, dirty blonde, and dyed orange at the tips. Apart from my few zits, my face was pretty clean and well chiseled. My eyes were a light green, and my eyebrows a thick dirty blonde, just as my hair. My teeth were pearly white, as I set reminders for myself everyday to brush them. Finishing, I set my brushes and paste back in their spots and left the bathroom. I knew that I probably had some time left before I had to leave for school, so instead of going back to my room, I headed into my sister's room.

"Aaron?" She asked as I stood at her doorway.

"Can I talk? I had another dream." It was a vision, not a dream. Although I had never informed my sister about that, she might think I'm crazy. She beckoned to a spot on her bed beside her and I walked over and plopped down.

"Okay, tell me all about it." She said, putting her book down beside her.
I took in a long breath and spilled out the story to her.

"That sounds..terrifying." She put a hand on my shoulder. Before she could say anymore, our mom yelled to us from downstairs.

"Quincie! Aaron! August! Time to leave for school!"

  Quince and I looked at each other for a moment before getting up to head downstairs.

"We can talk about this after school, Aaron."

I nodded to her in response. Off to school. Now i'd have to sit in a car next to him. How wonderful. I could already feel the knot in my throat as I sat down in the car besides him. He didn't look at me. We hadn't talked for days now. He knew I was too scared.

Too scared of what he other thought.