Valentine's Day!

{This is my entry for the LGBTQ+ Valentine's Day contest!}

The bench was cold as I sat, waiting for my date to arrive. Black ripped jeans graced my hips, and a slightly oversized grey sweater draped itself over my shoulders, protecting my arms from the harsh A/C.

My fingers tapped relentlessly on my leg, and I checked my phone once again. He was already an hour late, why was I still waiting? Tears pricked my eyes. My lip quivering, I pulled my black beanie over my burning ears, trying to hide my shame.

The bench creaked as someone sat down on the other end. I glanced over, finding a girl in my vision. The sleeves of her teeshirt were short enough to show colorful tattoos, and her jeans were tucked into a pair of boots almost exactly like mine. She looked as if she wanted to say something, but couldn't find the right words.

It took a full five minutes for her to speak, "Hey," Her voice was soft and scratchy. I nodded to her, knowing my voice would crack with despair if I spoke.

"Are you Alright? You seem upset," She queried, scooting a bit closer to listen, "I-... I think I just got stood up," I mumbled, wiping my eyes.

Silence followed, but only for a short while before the girl chimed in again, "My name's Gwen."

A smile tugged at my lips, and I looked at her. Freckles dusted her lightly tanned face, and a pair of aviator readers framed her blooming hazel eyes, "I'm Lilo," I replied with a sniffle.

"Your parents like Disney?" My smile grew, "You have no idea!"

The conversation carried on with ease. I quickly learned that Gwen's a space fanatic, and is planning to be an astrologist when she graduated from college. I described my dream to become a well-known artist and author, and how I was planning on going to Adelphi for a arts degree. Talking to her was easy, as if we had known each other for years. Jokes bounced between us, the pain of my no-show date long forgotten.

"So I was just about to go see a movie... would you care to join?" Shock split the smile on my face, only for it to quickly reappear as I nodded eagerly. Relief crossed Gwen's face, and she dragged me to the theater by my wrist.

Gwen graciously paid for my ticket, while I insisted on paying for snacks and drinks, "What movie are we seeing?" I asked as we walked towards theater 6.

"Oh just some rom-com. Something cheesy, ya know?" I nodded, walking closer to her. She held the door open for me, and picked seats in the center of theater.

People filed in, and soon most of the seats were taken. People were quietly chatting, waiting for the movie to start, while Gwen and I munched on popcorn and candy. We giggled like idiots, tossing pieces of food at each other, while others looked on in annoyance or amusement.

The ads and trailers came to a close, and the lights darkened, announcing the start of the movie. It was your typical Romantic-comedy; Misfit girl who's new in town, reads a lot and loves drawing, who falls in love with the quarterback of the football team. Nothing good nothing bad.

Halfway through the movie, Gwen's hand was resting next to mine on the armrest. I could've sworn I saw her pinkie twitch and move, not even half an inch, towards mine.

The movie blurred and the sounds of the theater muffled and silenced. I brought my gaze to my hand, watching to see if my thoughts were correct. Sure enough, I saw her hand move closer to mine.

My heartbeat become more prominent, and with a deep breath, I inched my hand closer as well. Slowly but surely, our hands met. Mine slipped into hers, it being oddly smaller then Gwen's. At first I couldn't move. It felt weird, but I didn't hate it. Then, a smile spread across my face. Before we knew it the movie was over, and the audience was heading out. Gwen and I however, stayed put until the credits were over.

We were both silent on the walk to the bench where we met. The whole time we hadn't let go of each other's hands, and were both smiling like idiots.

"Tonight was fun," Gwen said, giving me a toothy grin, "thanks for coming."

"Thank you for saving me before," I replied, putting emphasis on the 'you'. Gwen brushed some strands of hair from her face and cleared her throat.

"Well... um... if you don't- if you don't mind... could I have your number...?" I stumbled over my words, embarrassment flashing on her face.

"Oh! Uh yeah, hold on," she plucked a pen that was snagged on the strap of her tank top, she carefully took my hand and wrote it just below my knuckles, adding a small heart below.

I nodded and looked at her. We found ourself staring at each other for a long time, and it was only a minute later when I realize the space between us was getting smaller.

Gwen was glancing between my eyes and my lips. I couldn't help but do the same. Before I could process what was happening, my lips were suddenly pressed against hers. I leaped back, covering my mouth in shock. Both of us had wide eyes, and both of us were silent. I looked down in shame, swallowing my fear again and again.

"Are you doing anything on Friday?" Her voice snapped me out of my head and I looked at her.

"Nothing... would you like to meet up again?" I asked, she nodded biting her lip awkwardly, "Friday it is then," I said, almost as an afterthought. Gwen nodded again, playing with her hands.

"I-if you're okay with it, I'd like to kiss you again..." She said, hiding her face. The grin on my face almost split it in half as I tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, "I've never really kissed a girl before..." I muttered, "Well then maybe you should practice."

Laughing, I leaned in. Our lips met once again. Gwen's hands found a place at my hips, and mine at the back of her neck. When we finally separated, I was bright red and burning, Gwen wasn't much better.

"So I'll see you Friday okay?" She said, I nodded happily. She planted a soft kiss on my cheek and walked away towards her car.

Once I was sure she was gone, I began laughing and whooping in excitement. I opened my phone and went to my original date's contact, promptly deleting it, and entering Gwen's in its place. Shoving my phone in my pocket, I skipped down the road, towards my own home, still giggling like mad.

~Happy Valentines Day!~