Chapter One

Chapter One

Since the moment I was a young boy I had one goal; make it out the ghetto. Nothing in life is free and being black and living in the ghetto you either got two choices: the corner or the church, I wasn't too fond of the church but the corner was home. I wasn't like the other young boys out here who chased the dream of becoming some big pro athlete and making it out the ghetto. That's not real, my way out was to take over everything until there was no competition.

Law enforcement was a joke; the police don't care if you commit a crime or not, they just want somebody to blame. At the young age of seven I watched as Atlanta PD busted down the door of my home and took my father to jail.

Their reason? My father was a major link to one of Atlanta's biggest kingpins and they had been watching him for a while. I cried so much that night I thought I was gonna die, how would we make it now? My mom stayed up day & night looking for lawyers and worked hella jobs to take care of me. My mom had me at the age of 14 and had to depend on my grandma Rose a lot once my day went to jail she hated it but, grandma Rose was all we had at the time.

Fast forward five years; my moms went back to college and started her own business hell, her own empire. Moms never had to worry about money again we were set and secure. Around that time we stopped getting letters from my dad when he caught word of how good moms was doing without him.

I was a little upset as to why we never got letters anymore, until I was secretly listening to my moms and my aunt Keyshia's conversation one day.

*flashback*

"Have you heard from Darnell lately?" Keyshia asked her younger sister as they sat in her new apartment.

"Nope, it's goin' on three months now." She replied drinking her wine, "at this point I'm done with him, he's treating me like I gave him up or some sh*t! I don't care if he never speaks to me but don't ignore your child."

"You're right, maybe he got into some trouble? You know how he is with them guards." Keyshia replies trying to encourage her younger sister.

"I doubt it, I gave up everything for him! I was 14 when I got pregnant and he was 17 and what did I do? I stupidly moved out my mamas house and into a damn trap house! Put my life and my unborn sons life in danger and do you think he cares?! No." She fumed as she sat in her chair tapping her foot like she does when she's angry. "I called the prison and they said he told them not to allow him calls from me. What man cuts off his 'girl' and child?" She continues using air quotes.

Keyshia shook her head as she silently said a prayer for her younger sister. When Chrissy met Darnell it was game over, in her eyes he could do no wrong and if anyone brought news to her of him being in the streets she'd tell you where to put that information.

Looking back on the day the two were introduced she knew it was trouble from the start. He, the young respected thug and her, the baby sister of Keyshia and Stacy. From that moment on, Chrissy caused their parents heartache after disappointment.

Taking a moment to reply Keyshia said. "Don't dwell on it then. Move on; it's clear he's got some kinda stick up his ass over something and your the imaginary cause. Look at you," she began holding her hands out to her sister. "You're taking care of your child, you own several businesses, you make and have your OWN money. Baby I'm proud of you." Keyshia ends wiping a stray tear as she and her sister shared a smile.

*flashback over*

From that moment on and other pieced together conversations I learned my father was angry that my mom bettered herself after he want to jail and didn't become one of those dependent house-mouse young girls with kids, always depending on their children's fathers and connects to live. She had went out, finished high school and college and built a live for herself and her young son; one that did not include him in it.