Eight

Night soon covered the usually clear skies like a blanket. Our little group decided to rest for an hour to prepare ourselves for the next day to come. We all thought that winning was in our horizon.

"We're gonna be heroes. The world is gonna remember us and what we endured to bring them peace and safety. We're gonna be stars!" Vincent said as he strung a bow in preparation.

"Imagine getting new clothes. Maybe I could get a nice ball gown!" Chloe excitedly said, twirling as if she were spinning in a glamorous dress. I giggled and took a swig of water from a small jar Zach had found.

Chloe grabbed Zach's hand and brought him to his feet. The two started to slow dance while admiring stars that dusted the sky like the freckles on Chloe's face. "I will rearrange the stars. Pull 'em down to where you are. I promise, I'll do better. With every heartbeat I have left I'll defend your every breath I promise I'll do better. I will soften every edge. Hold the world to its best. I promise I'll do better. With every heartbeat I have left
I'll defend your every breath..." Chloe daintily sang to him as they danced.

Chloe had her arms sweetly wrapped around Zach's neck and he had his arm wrapped around her chest. I smiled as I watched them and I prayed in my head that they would turn out okay. Until now, I never knew what I was living for. I was living for the freedom of others. I was living for love. I was living to bring peace. I was living for these people. For Jasmine.

I turned to face Adam with a warm smile and rested my hand on top of his. "Our world may end tomorrow. Everything will change. I just wanted you to know that..." I said. A few minutes of silence plagued the air around us and I turned away from him in embarrassment.

"I love you, Emily." Adam said, ever so quietly. If he went an octave lower, I wouldn't have been able to hear him. Frankly, I was in shock. I stayed silent for a few minutes. "I'm sorry. Actually, no. I'm not going to apologize for loving you. You are perfect and I don't think you know that. We'll take what comes. I don't care if I die. I just want to love you. I don't care if you love me or not-" He said. I cut him off by pressing my lips to his. After a few seconds, I pulled away and smiled.

"Damn you are so jittery. That shut you up. I love you too, Adam." I said and he grinned wider than the amount of money in Sjef's temple. I squinted off in the horizon and saw a group of soldiers running up to us.

One of the soldiers shocked Zach and Chloe so they fell to the ground. Then, my whole world became black.

(499 words)

(I apologize for the short chapter! I have an announcement coming up so stay tuned!)