Letter to the World

Dear World,

Ever since I was a little girl, everyone has told me that you can only be one thing. You can't be gay and Christian, you can't be genderfluid and Buddhist, whatever. And ever since I was a little girl, I thought that was true. But then everything changed.

First, I realized that I was asexual. And then I was told that asexuality isn't real. But that's what I am.

"Christians aren't asexual, dear." They would say to me, "Christians are heterosexual, heteroromantic, and cisgender."

Then I realized that I may or may not be biromantic. Of course Christians are told they can't be that. We're pretty damn homophobic, so I'm not surprised.

I keep being told that in order to live my life, I have to choose one part of me to keep, and then throw away everything else. So I threw away my asexuality. I tried to live without it. Tried to "feel" the way I was supposed to feel, even though Christians preach the no sex ideal.

Guess what? I couldn't. So I tried to give up being biromantic. But I keep looking around me and seeing love everywhere. In the clerk girl at the grocery store. In the boy selling roses by the water fountain. In the boy and girl with big eyes and cheerful smiles at the bus stop.

That didn't work either. So lastly, I tried to live life without my religious beliefs. Life was meaningless without them and I was lost. I fell into a void and nothing was the same.

I couldn't live without all of my pieces. So I picked everything back up and I said, "Screw this", and I lived the way that was best for me. I lived my life with my boyfriend, who goes to church with me and who I do not have sex with because that is my choice, and I loved it. And I still do.

The point is, everyone is always saying what we can and cannot be, but the thing is, that's our choice. Our life. Our happiness. We can be whoever we want to be and that is good and right.

You can be religious and like guys, you can be athiest and have a Christian SO, you can be whatever the hell you want to be because this is your life and no one else's. What makes you happy is your business and so is what makes your life MEANINGFUL.

So be you. Love yourself. Be a unicorn in a world where everyone else says you have to be a lawn gnome. Don't let society box you into its beliefs.

There is no set combination of things you can be. So just be everything you ever wanted to be. BE YOU.

Love, @NimmEmrysCayn