Chapter 1

Is This the Magic They Speak of in Books?

Empty.

That's all life has been the past few months. 

That's all I have been feeling for a while. 

When'll my life become worth living? 

Will it ever?

Thoughts similar to this flow trough my mind as I nimble on my breakfast. If you can call that a breakfast, at least. I've tried complaining about how eggs and tomatoes aren't enough for an entire day, but the matrons aren't exactly the best at reading lips. The tomatoes are plain disgusting, and the eggs aren't even cooked well. 

I pull the battered blanket tighter over myself, shivering. Who's idea was it to leave the window open? Forcing my legs to move, I get up and shut the window close, making quite a lot of noise as I did so. 

"Lumos!" 

Pulling the blanket away and putting it down gently on the floor, I peeked outside trough the small hole on the battered wooden door. All I saw was the shadow of a tall matron who seemed to be holding a small source of light over head. The word she said seemed Italian to me, but I can never be sure. The last time I read the guide to Italian was months ago.

I push the door outwards as slowly as possible, trying to avoid any creaks that might attract attention. Stupid door. I crawled out of the little opening I made and followed the source of light. Unfortunately, the light was getting dim, indicating that the matron was walking away, so I bumped into quite a few walls as I was trying to follow it. Even after living here for years, I only knew the route from my room to the exit, and to the kitchens, I didn't like exploring too much.

I heard light thumping footsteps, and the light source started descending with each step. The matron was walking downstairs. I knew that the chance of me falling down the stairs and breaking another bone was high, but I followed anyways. So much for making smart choices. Without even realizing it, I moved my hands in weird motions, and followed the light while managing to stay in the shadows. 

Ever since I saw Miss Davies doing those weird hand motions, my body seemed to have picked something up without telling my brain about it. Whenever I had the urge to say something out loud, I would mouth it and move my hands. I figured some patterns, and had a few ideas on what word each motion would mean, but I still didn't know what it was.

(A/N baby Wyatt not knowing what sign language is ;-; )

A noise indicated a door opening and I knew I  better hurry up. I heard the matron put out the light and walk around the room she was in. A couple of creaks later I was right at the opening of the room, the shadow of the matron towering over me. The moonlight was just light enough for me to realize that the matron was Miss Davies. I squinted as my eyes adjusted more to the darkness. She was standing in the middle of a messy room, a bed room, I suppose. There were children snoring in the right corner, far from the window. 

I envied the peaceful look on their faces. They didn't have any worries. They weren't starving, they weren't cold, they didn't have to go trough what I was struggling with. It was not fair, but I knew better than to complain. If there's one thing I actually learned here, other than how to survive on my own, was that complaining didn't get you anywhere no matter what.

A small swishing noise snapped me out of the little self hating thoughts I was having. I looked up at Miss Davies from behind the door. My breath hitched at the sight of the stick she seemed to be holding. Actually, let me rephrase that. The wand she was holding. I know, I know... Magic isn't real. But there was no other, more suitable, name for the foot long piece of wood in her hand.

"It can't be..." I mouthed slowly. For the first time ever, I was glad I couldn't make much noise, because if I did, I would have been caught now. 

Suddenly, I couldn't see anything. the blinding light lasted only for a second, but I still felt horrifying. See, if you are missing one of the five senses already, you start to value the others more. The light was like ice, mostly blank white, with blue glow to it, if that's what you'd call it. Then it subsided. I eagerly looked inside the room, beyond curious to know what in the world that was. But I also hesitated. I didn't know if the light could repeat again, I didn't want to risk it. 

With a deep breath I made the opening of the door slightly bigger and peaked my head in. Lets just say I thought I was actually hallucinating. I rubbed my eyes rightly then glanced again, the image didn't alter. I had only one word in mind.      

Magnificent.  

Everything I saw was beautiful beyond measure. I could stare for hours. There were dozens of lights, little fireworks, going around the room. What amazed me the most was that each one was doing a job. Cleaning. A little red spark flew past a pile of dirty clothes and the scarlet glow surrounded the cloths. When the glow subsided, the cloths were all in a neat stack. I stared, astonished, wondering if my eyes were playing tricks on me. I watched another blue streak of light whiz past the beds and envelop the empty cups and plates that the other kids had left on the floor nearby. Next thing I saw was the pile of plates neatly stacked on top of a little sheet of cloth that just appeared there from who knows where. 

Words couldn't describe how I felt. It felt strange, like my mind was trying to reach for a thought, a memory, that should have been there but was missing for some reason. I realized my breathing had suddenly became so rapid I should have been scared. But I wasn't. Strangely, I felt at home. This thing, this magic, gave me a cozy feeling, as if I was at home. By home I don't just mean a place to live in, that's not a home. I mean a place where you feel like you belong, where everyone accepts you without trying to change you.  Never in my life I thought any part of this rusty orphanage would feel like home. 

I watched another spark do its part to tidy the room and I realized its probably not the safest idea to stay here any longer. I can't risk getting in trouble again. Just as I turned around and started to walk back to my room, I heard a cloak swishing against the floorboard and a gently cough.

"Wyatt, what are you doing outside your room this late at night?" 

I turned around, gulping, to face Lady Davies. I've never been so scared of her before.