Chapter 15

Nena looked herself up and down in the full-length mirror. She was attired in a black turtleneck sweater with black jeans and shoes. Behind her and draped over the back of a chair was a black overcoat similar to the one worn by Jack.

She glanced at the door to the infirmary. "Jack?"

The door opened and he peeked his devilish face inside. "You called?"

She glared at him. "What if I wasn't done dressing?"

"Then I would have helped you finish," he quipped as he slipped inside.

"I highly doubt that," Doc commented as he followed him into the room. The elderly man paused to study her for a moment before he nodded approvingly. "You look wonderful, Miss Nena."

Jack stopped at the overcoat and rubbed the fabric between his gloved fingers. "Not bad material."

Nena tilted to one side and studied the frayed tail of his own worn overcoat. "Your coat went right through that sheet, so how come I saw some of your coat in the bricks?"

"I was so busy saving a certain beautiful young woman that I didn't have time to materialize all my clothes," he explained.

"Your flattering lines are nearly as old as you," Doc quipped as he drew the coat off the chair and walked it over to Nena. He smiled as he handed the clothing to her. "The special leather should keep some of your chill from getting worse."

She took the coat and slung an arm through as she arched an eyebrow. "How?"

"It's made from the flesh of demons tortured in the bowels of hell until their hides fell off," he told her.

Nena paused and slid the coat off her to drape it over her arm. "Um, thanks."

"That stuff will keep you warm until Armageddon," Jack spoke up.

Doc glared at him. "Must you be so uncouth?"

Jack drew a cigarette from his pocket and lit it in the corner of his mouth before he nodded. "Yep," he commented as he stuffed the lighter back into his coat and looked past Doc at Nena. "Time to go see him."

Nena pursed her lips, but nodded. She gave a smile at Doc before the pair left the infirmary and went to the office of the big man. Jack used the back of his knuckle to rap on the door.

"Come in," came the velvety voice of Scratch.

Jack opened the door for Nena and she reluctantly stepped inside first. The office was dark, darker than she remembered, and there was a scent of sulfur in the air. The back of the chair was turned toward the door and a puff of smoke rose from the seat. Jack took a position against the wall beside the door while Nena stopped five feet away from the front of the desk.

The chair swiveled around to reveal Scratch. He held a thick cigar in one hand and a sly smile on his lips as he stood. "Miss Tacitas, what a pleasure to see you again."

Nena swallowed the lump in her throat and stood straight. "It's all yours," she quipped.

Scratch chuckled as he sauntered around the side of the desk. His eyes flickered to Jack. "I think you've been in with bad company, Miss Tacitas."

"You put me with him," she pointed out.

Scratch leaned his rear against the front of the desk and took a big drag of his cigar. The end lit up like a burning coal before he drew it away and blew out a thick ring of gray smoke. The smoke ring floated over to Nena and hovered above her head like a dying halo. Scratch gripped his cigar hard and stared at her without blinking. "You forget your place, little girl."