The Necklaces // G.D.

The necklaces. Everyone had one. They were all shaped in a different unique way. If your shape matched another persons, you were soul mates. Their temperature changed depending on how close you were to the other person, this made it an adventure to find your other half, and not having to go through so much heartbreak.

Most people ignored these necklaces, I however could not help but notice them. Everyone wore theirs in a different way. Some wore theirs as chokers, others did normal length necklaces, and some people wore them on long chains that hung down their torso. A person's necklace was the first thing I noticed about them. Not that I was desperate to find my other half, I just want to meet the person I was spending my life with.

I sighed, and slumped down into my usual booth. My necklace was usually cold. It was an egg-oval shape, with a small spike on the side made it not a perfect oval.

When I was younger it was warmer, but something changed in 2015, it's been cold ever since. Sometimes it'll be a little warmer, when this happens I make sure I look my best, and I usually hang out in the small café down the street, sometimes with friends, other times doing homework, and if I have nothing to do I'll watch my favorite youtubers. Youtube had a strict policy that the people who made videos were not allowed to show their necklaces on camera, unless you had already found your soulmate.

I thumbed over my necklace, it's been warmer recently, so I've been spending a lot of time in the cafe, all my friends were busy, I finished my homework, so this was one of the rare times I got to sit and watch youtube.

There were vicious butterflies eating at my stomach, I had that gut feeling that I was going to meet him today. I could barely focus on my phone in front of me. I decided to order an ice water to try to calm my nerves.

After I received my drink, I was so nervous I drank it all in five minutes, people were constantly coming in a out, I always made sure to check their necklace before they left the small building. I grew tired of people watching and starting paying attention to the video playing on my phone.

A few hours had gone by, I had talked to some people I knew that came in every now and then, chatted with the barista, ordered another water, and caught up on all the unwatched youtube videos in my notifications. I sighed and leaned back in the booth, feeling over my warm necklace again. My eyes scanned over the room, there weren't a lot of people inside, the barista, and a couple studing for a quiz or some other major school thing. I picked my phone up, responded to a few peoples texts from hours ago, opened instagram and starting scrolling through my explore page.

I had gotten to deep into instagram I didn't bother noticing who came in and out of the cafe anymore. When two very tall brown headed boys walked into the cafe, my necklace grew very hot, I did not notice any of this, I was too deep in instagram's drama to notice anything.

My necklace started to itch around my neck, I hardly looked up from my phone while taking it off and placing it on the table next to my phone and keys. I leaned back in the booth once again way too invested in this silly app, and all the drama of social media.

Two very tall brown headed boys approached my table slowly, and one bumped the other with his elbow. The one who was bumped cleared his throat causing me to finally acknowledge their existence in front of me. I looked up to these beautiful boys, their hazel eyes looking down at me, meeting my green ones.

The Dolan twins. Both of them, here staring at me.

I noticed Grayson holding his necklace in his hand, I looked over to mine where I had taken it off not five minutes before.

He stuck his necklace out showing the shape that was identical to mine. The vicious butterflies were eating away at my stomach again.

He smiled at me, sitting down in my booth across from me. His brother had disappeared to God knows where. He was nervous, it was written all over his face. I probably had the same look to my face. I could not belive this beautiful boy who I had seen only through social media was sitting across from me with the same exact necklace.

"So do you think we could go for coffee sometime?"