Chapter Two: Saved

Side Note: I changed something in Chapt. One. Rachel isn't really dupming Adam. Okay, read, comment, vote. Go!

        Today was a Black Lipstick Day. I don’t know how I started the tradition, but the day after I cut, I wear black lipstick. It just felt right.

       I wore long sleeves and fingerless, faux leather gloves to hide the bandages on my wrist. Everything else was black as usual.

        “Hey, Scarface! Is the black lipstick for your cult tonight? Conjuring up some spirits for the Halloween dance?” Nick from chemistry fell in step with me. I kept my gaze on the floor.

        “Hey, I asked you a question.” Nick bumped my shoulder.

        “No, I’m not, Nick,” I answered, tired. “Please leave me alone. I need to get to class.”

        “Whoa, Scarface. You’re actually going to class today?”

        “Please. Leave me alone,” I repeated with a little more force.

        “Mrrrow. Kitty-cat’s got claws.” Nick gave me a pouty look. If he wasn’t such a jerk, he’d be cute. “Fine,” he sighed, running into me and knocking my books out of my hands. “Oh! My bad, babe.”

        I briefly closed my eyes before bending down to retrieve my books. My emotions were running high this week. I needed to stay under control.

        If it was hard to just navigate the halls, it was impossible trying to pick up my books without causing a scene.

        I scooted around legs, grabbing my folders and textbooks, dodging bodies and earning an earful of swears.

        “Hey, I think this one’s yours.”

        I reached to grab my trig book and suddenly locked eyes with Adam. Oh. Crap. I rocked back on my heels.

        Adam held out a hand. I stared at him. He still held out his hand. Heart in my throat, I reached up and his hand took a hold of my gloved one. I stood up and quickly let go of his hand, avoiding his eyes.

        “Here.” He handed me the book. “Sorry about Nick.”

        I took my book. “It-it’s- I’m used to it.” I looked down. No eye contact, no eye contact, no eye contact.

        “Hey,” Adam started as I was backing away, “about yesterday-”

        “Don’t worry about it,” I told him hoarsely, my heart ready to burst out of my ribcage. I ran to class before he could say anything else.

        Trig wasn’t the worst class. I was failing, but nobody bothered me. It was, however, one of the classes I skipped yesterday.

        “Waverly,” Ms. Burke called when I walked in.

        I cringed. “Yes?”

        “May I ask why you keep skipping my class?”

        “Umm… I wasn’t- I.. I don’t know,” I finished lamely.

        Ms. Burke smiled sadly at me. “You missed a quiz. Here, you can do it in five minutes while we correct last night’s homework.”

         I nodded, taking the quiz from her. I had to blink several times before being able to concentrate. Ms. Burke was known for using colored paper and this quiz was a shocking lime green.