ShadowMelde Saga: Volume One

Hello, I’m Kosar. So far my life hasn't exactly been...normal so far.

       Everyone tells me that from that day I was born, I can make people disappear. Crazy right? But it’s only people around me. I did a test when I was twelve, which was five years ago, and I found out that if there are within 50 feet of me, for three minutes, for four days in a row. That’s all it takes. On the first day, they become sick. On the second day, they are out of personality, rapidly switching between hardworking and laid back, among other opposites. On the third day, they are violent, but they don’t say anything. On the last day, they don’t respond to at all. They get up from school, eat and go to school as usual, but they don’t do any work, they just sit there, blankly staring forward. The next day, they were gone

       I never knew my parents, and people say that I was really quiet when I was little. When I wanted something, I would walk to my foster parents and showed them, on paper in words what I wanted. They were shocked at first, but they quickly got used to it. For some reason I was born with the intelligence of a five year old who never spoke. I also had a perfect sense of grammar and spelling. I was, not surprisingly, also very good at the other subjects in school as well. I was slightly taller than I should be for my age, but I looked normal enough with my black hair and wiry but strong frame.

       I often wasn’t in one school for more than two weeks at a time. There were about three foster parents per town, so I moved a lot. What I did when I was bored was quite weird also. Apparently my parents gave me this rock that I played with on end for years, until it eventually turned into this triangular rock with razor sharp edges. I never got cut with it for some reason. As time wore on, I began to notice another triangle, but it was etched into the rock. As the time passed, the country was running out off foster parents. So when I was thirteen, they put me in a correctional facility, not knowing where else to put me. In there, I developed a reflex. Anyone who gets within six inches of me gets their arm twisted behind their back and shoved five feet. I f they try again, I do something else, it does vary. Each time they try, it gets progressively worse.

       I lasted four years in there, and I got kicked out. I was where I am now, in a metal room, for seven years. It had 21 years worth of food and supplies. No contact until I was out.

       Honestly, living in here has been the year of my life I can remember. I mean was I okay everywhere else, but here I was calm here. Eventually I drilled a small hole through the room. A month before, I finished a laptop, it took about a month and a half. I set it up this morning. No signal. I set up a Wi-Fi network and looked at the date. It’s the day before my 18th birthday.

       But before I’m going to finish that, I’ll tell what the cell looks like. The walls are a dull gray, but a sink and several other things sticking out of the wall. Built into the wall are some closets, a shower thing and a water tank. I one closet, a bunch of food, in another some supplies like microwaves and ovens and other kitchen appliances, and then there’s a giant built in bookshelf stuffed with books. I read several of them so I could make a laptop.

       Anyways, I slept and took a shower and brushed my teeth. I went over to the laptop. I go onto my web browser and searched in Wikipedia the Afghanistan/Pakistan war. Dissolved. The year is 2017. I notice something weird on my desktop. Something called ISM. It’s telling me about this really cool metal called ShadowMelde. It was discovered in a home a week before I was born. It reflects almost no light, and it’s really strong, almost like carbon nanofibers. I suddenly feel like sleeping. I grab my sleeping bag and I sleep on it. When I wake up, my laptop is still on my lap, and it says something different. It wrote:

       Hello Kosar, you’re 18, time to learn your heritage. Your father is Death, which explains why you have your reflex that could potentially kill someone. Your mother is Loneliness, which is you why make people disappear. Both of your parents were born on the planet Shadow, where all the negative entities come from. Shadowmelde is it’s primary resource, which enhances your powers. Yes, powers, psychic ones to be exact. You’re welcome to walk out that hole in the wall, and see the world.