Chapter 1:

Cautiously making my way through the corridor that was filled with broken glass and forgotten possessions, I angled my gun so that it was faced ahead of me and ready for anything that would come my way. It was hard to stay focused because the electricity in the building hadn't cut out yet, but it was starting to which meant the lights that once religiously lit the apartment block where flickering with uncertainty.

One of the reasons I had come here was because I was running out of supplies. I was in desperate need of tinned food, weapons, new clothes, etc. It was beneficial for me that the apocalypse had only been here for three months because it meant I could stock up on food that had an expiry date way in the future, it meant I could stock up on decent clothing and functioning weapons. It was also a good opportunity to get a decent shower.

Kicking down the door of apartment 3B, I aimed my rifle instantly at anything I thought might've been a threat. The Portsunset apartments were fairly small, which is why I'd chosen this block – it meant I could scan the area quickly, take what I needed and get a quick shower. One of the things I hated about the apocalypse was that I had to get a quick shower. I missed spending hours on end beneath the streaming water just thinking, relaxing or singing.

I dried myself off after the shower I'd desired and started rummaging through the drawers in the bedrooms to get some new clothes.

Finding a pair of black skinny jeans and a black vest top, I slipped into the clothes and checked myself in the mirror before grabbing my leather jacket and grey Adidas gym bag.

I never had the time to let my hair dry because you never knew what wass around the corner coming for you. I was back to stepping cautiously through the corridor with my heavy, worn out doc martens in no time. Deciding that the coast was clear, I made my way down the stairs and back into the parking lot.

Three weeks into the apocalypse, I managed to rob the sexiest black range rover I could find – but I learnt the hard way that the living dead were not the biggest threats to me, the humans were. I only had my range rover for a week before it got stolen by three men who almost took me with them. I did, however, manage to find an Audi Q5 which I was able to keep. Well, until now.

"Hey!" I yelled to the figure I saw trying to crowbar their way into the only vehicle I had. It meant everything to me because I kept everything in it. "Step away."

I saw the figure's shoulders dropped as they assumingly stopped holding their breath and kept their back to me, starting to manoeuvre away. I kept my rifle aimed at them anyway because nobody was trustworthy anymore. "Show me your face." Having a harsh, husked voice paid off in the apocalypse too because for some reason it made it seem like you knew what you were doing.

Now that I was closer to the figure and my vehicle, I realised it was a girl. Her dark locks went down to her back where they curled slightly at the ends of her leather jacket. She appeared to be somewhat experienced because the jeans she wore seemed new and fresh, as well as the black timberland boots on her feet. As she turned to me, she whipped a pistol revolver out from the front pocket of her jeans and now I was the one being aimed at.

"Drop it." She said, but her voice was shaky and I thought maybe she wasn't experienced at all. Learning to keep your cool was a tough lesson that had to be learnt with the way the world was these days.

"Did you get that from daddy's locked draw?" I mocked, seeming unfazed by her weapon of choice as I continued to take baby steps towards her.

"Don't tempt me." She pulled back the switch on the gun, making it click to show it was fully loaded and I swallowed hard.

I tested her by taking three steps towards her, the stones crushing beneath my feet before I settled myself just steps away from the girl who was clenching her jaw. "You know that's only a revolver, right?" The brunette clearly knew nothing about weapons because she was threatening me with a gun that would take a good few shots to do a little damage, where as I could kill her with one swift pull of the trigger.

If this was anyone else, maybe a middle-aged man or a teenage boy, attempting to rob me – I'd of killed them the minute I spotted them; but she seemed to be clueless and just searching for some sort of shelter or refuge, which was why I was just trying to scare her off.

It seemed to be working because she was losing her breath and batting her eyes. "Would you just put that down?" I asked in a fairly unthreatening manner and luckily she obliged.

"I just need to get to New York. I need to see my boyfriend." She blurted out, running her hand through her hair as I struggled to stifle a laugh.

"For a start, that's an eighteen hour drive and also, are you trying to get yourself killed?" I pointed my rifle down to the ground so she knew I was going to blow her brains out at any given moment.

She tilted her head to the side and seemed baffled by my statements. "Is it bad there?"

"New York is like the busiest city in the world. Do you seriously think this virus didn't hit it there the worst three months ago?"

After a few seconds, she sighed and sat herself down on the ground as she leant against the side of the Audi. "Well, where are you heading?"

I laughed and shook my head, making my way around to the car and opening up the trunk as I threw my gym bag and rifle in there. "Where is anybody heading? Aren't we all just seeking some sort of refuge?" I turned around and felt the cold metal of her pistol rest at the space between my eyebrows. I immediately clenched my jaw and stared her dead in the eye as I felt my breathing quickly become uneven.

"Take me wherever you're going. I've been doing this shit on my own for three months and if I'm by myself for much longer I'm going to go insane." The woman, whose eyes I noticed were glittering into flecks of amber because of the position of the sun behind us, sounded desperate as her hand that was holding the weapon shook slightly. I'd also been doing this by myself for three months and I had never become this vulnerable and this close to death.

"Get in the car." I spoke through gritted teeth. Her eyes widened in surprise but she quickly removed the gun and prodded over to the passenger side of the vehicle.

-

A/N: I'm baaaaaack!! hello guys and happy 21st birthday to my love camia cabello!!

as promised, this is the first chapter of my new fanfic 'decimation' and I'm more than excited for you guys to watch this story unfold and take some drastic turns.

chapter 2 will be posted next Saturday!! until then, share the love. feedback is always appreciated.

- fay.