JABBERWOCKY

Amber stepped back

Amber stepped back. "Hazel..."

"Aye, that is me." she smiled.

"No, it can't be. This is all a trick. This can't be true."

"Well, of course it is all a trick and it most certainly isn't true!" said Hazel.

"So, where in the world are we? What is happening?" asked Amber.

Hazel gazed around. "The scene is changing."

Amber looked around. Fog and smoke was steadily rising from the horizon, towards the zenith.

"So?"

"We've got to run."

"But why?!" Amber enquired, exasperatedly.

"No time to explain; just run." She took hold of Amber's hand and the next thing Amber knew, she was being dragged along into nothingness.

All of a sudden, they stopped. "How did we end up here?" asked Amber. Amber looked around, although there was absolutely nothing to look at; there was a blinding white light that covered the entire room, or enclosure, or whatever it was.

"Okay, we're good now."

"Well, I still don't get it. What the blazes is happening?" Amber demanded, "What is this place? And why the hell are you wearing a bloodied wedding gown with a veil?"

Hazel looked down at her dress. "Oh yes. Doesn't suit me, does it? Well then, a lesson learnt. I should never trust my instincts."

She snapped her fingers and suddenly, she was in royal attire with a fascinator atop her head. She looked at herself in a mirror. Amber gazed at the reflection. "Well, your head looks abnormally gigantic."

"Right." Hazel nodded. All of a sudden, her reflection changed and she was clad in a polka dotted shirt, a bright overcoat and an enormous hat.

Hazel gazed at Amber for approval. Amber raised an apprehensive eyebrow.

Now, Hazel was back to normal, dressed in her everyday human clothes, except for the hat, that still sat on her head in all its glory.

" I was fond of the hat, so I let it be." Hazel shrugged.

"As you like it." Amber sighed, "This is a dream, isn't it. It's all a dream."

"Yes. But whose, is the question." said Hazel.

"You are not Hazel, are you? That would be impossible. She's miles away. Are you an impostor? Or a piece of my imagination? Who are you?"

"Who in the world am I? Ah! That's a great puzzle."

Amber hit her head with her hand. "Guess it is pointless asking anything at all."

"I suggest you hold onto me this very moment, Amber." said Hazel, offering her arm.