Chapter 11: Meeting The Phillips

Memorial Day 1981

Austin was walking with his little sister Liz after taking her to her favorite store on Madison Avenue for a sale. Liz didn't see anything she liked, so they left empty handed. Austin felt some sort of anticipation. He couldn't wait until tomorrow to carry out the plan Brad proposed.

Austin felt a little annoyed that the Mount Sinai Hospital was uptown, but he couldn't see Angie. Then again, Angie might be on her day off.

Liz was chattering about something, while Austin was still in his feelings about Angie.

"Are you even listening to me, Austin?" Liz asked, in an annoyed tone.

"Oh, sorry, I was just thinking about something," Austin replied, with an apologetic smile.

"You're always so absentminded these days," Liz quipped.

Austin did a mock snarl, making Liz giggle and recoil playfully.

"What was it you were telling me about?" Austin asked.

"I was trying to tell you that-- aah!"

Liz screamed as she plunged down an unlocked sidewalk access door into the storage area of a bodega.

"Liz!" Austin bellowed out, as he scrambled down the stairs to his sister.
Much to his horror, there was blood rapidly escaping through the top of her forehead onto the black and white tiles. 

"I'm bleeding!" Liz shouted tearfully. "Austin, I'm bleeding!"

Shit, Mom and Dad are totally gonna kill me, Austin thought to himself.

He quickly unbuttoned his white short sleeve shirt, folded it repeatedly and placed it on Liz's wound, putting pressure on it. Thank goodness he was wearing a white tank top underneath, instead of nothing. He did not need any other woman eyeing him with lust.

"Liz, I gotta take you to hospital," Austin spoke up breathlessly, his heart pounding a mile a minute, almost feeling sick.

"Are you gonna call 911?" Liz asked, her voice choked up. 

"I dunno, there's no telephone around here," Austin replied.

"Oh, my God, is she ok?" a voice asked. 
Austin turned to see a Hispanic man with a worried look on his face. Austin figured he was a worker, given the fact he was wearing an apron.

"No, she's not ok, she's bleeding all over the place!" Austin snapped, his voice rather hoarse. "Did you not think to lock your door?!"

"Ay, por Dios," the man grumbled. "Juan!"

Another Hispanic man came downstairs. "Que pasó?"

The man shoved him and spoke angrily in rapid fire Spanish.

"I fucking told you to lock the door, cabrón!" he yelled. "Now the lady fell and she bleeding!"

"I was going to lock it, but the people called, I was on the phone for like two minutes!" Juan protested.

"You friggin' idiot!" the man snarled.

Ignoring the embroiling argument, Austin scooped Liz from off the floor bridal style, and went up the stairs to see a small chattering crowd congregating around the area.

"Oh, my God, she's bleeding!" a woman shouted.

Not wanting any more of this, Austin started running with Liz in his arms uptown, as if he was the Six Million Dollar Man. He dodged traffic as fast as he could, and didn't stop until he reached the hospital.