Wet

After grabbing my car keys and putting on my rain coat, I gave a kiss to Adam as he handed me the so-called lucky pen and I darted for the door.

I knew I shouldn't be doing this but Daryl does need his pen back, doesn't he? I only say that to distract myself from the poor decision I was making, which was of course agreeing to see him. Only to talk of course. Nothing more.

I open the car door and quickly go in before any rain could flood the inside of my car. I breathe heavily, pushing the key and turning it to start the engine. My car, a used sliver Toyota Camry always had a terrible startup but once it got moving it was the smoothest ride. I grip onto the steering wheel and drive off into the direction of Daryl's apartment on the rain swept road.

As I drove, the street lights illuminated the empty route ahead of me. Breathing in relief, I begin to turn on my favorite radio station, 'ALT22'.

Being swept away, I tap to the beat of Vampire Weekend. The band that never was able to disappoint. Thinking about them, I started to drift away to the time I went to their concert during the summer of 2010. The band came on a day that was very special to Seattle. It wasn't raining. The crowds of people were all huddled together in front of the stage. Sweat and beer was smelt and felt everywhere as we jumped to the upbeat tune of "Cousins".

That day was gross but it was a day that I would never forget. I would also not forget today. Now I finally wonder back into present day and realize where I'm going. I then remember Alexis. Isn't she at home? It's around 7:30 and I'm sure she should be home. But why did Daryl want to see me if she was there?

.

..

...

I close the door to the Camry quickly and walk inside to the lobby of Daryl's apartment building. I shook the water off my jacket. I stood in front of the keypad that allowed guests to enter by the residents permission, which was in front of the elevators. I took a deep breath and dialled Daryl's unit number '311' on the keypad.

"Hello?"

His raspy voice answers sending shivers down my spine.

I clear my throat quickly before I speak.

"Laura?"

My eyes widen. How did he know? I'm that predictable aren't I?

"Yes"

I surprise myself with a high pinched squeal.

"I'll buzz you up"

The door to the elevator opens and I walk in pressing the number 3 to his floor.

The door closes in front of me and I tap my foot excitedly. I bite my lower lip as well as I begin to take out my phone and use it as a mirror. I quickly put it down thinking that I was an idiot for doing so.

The sound of the bell startled me as I got to the floor. The elevator opens and I see the light blue walks of the hallway that will lead me to his door. I take one step in front, then another. I hear the elevator door close behind me.

"I could just leave."

I say to myself. My heart starts to beat faster with each step closer to the door.

I pull a fist, lift it and knock twice.

My eyes widen and I swallow hard as the door is being pulled back and revealing him. It was like I've never seen him before. The black long-sleeved cotton sweater hugging his body and showing his broad shoulders. Matching loose pants and bare feet. I slowly sense myself feeling weak as I stare at his body.