Chapter 1

When I was six, a man broke into my house.  I remember the day perfectly.  It was mid fall, warm enough to be wearing a t-shirt and shorts but still not hot.  

I was sitting on the porch swing in front my house with my neighbor.  We were playing with legos  while my mother made lunch inside.  The road was close to the house and a hedge lined the yard.  

A man I had never seen before made his way up our short gravel driveway.  He was probably in his early twenties.  He was wearing cargo pants and an unseasonably thick jacket.  I told Chris to go inside.  I pushed him through the doorway and yelled to my mom about the stranger.  

We sat down on the carpet in the living room and watched my mom talk to the man on the porch.  Her voice suddenly rose.  I could hear them talking about my dad from behind the screen door.  She said that he wasn't home and told the man to leave.  She pointed to the road and started to turn around.  

He slowly retreated and my mom came back in.  Chris and I knew better than to ask what it was about.  She went back to the kitchen but before she could continue making lunches, the man bust through the door and ran towards her.  

I screamed and so did she.  Gun shots filled the room.  I remeber running to my mom's body but the man picked me up and hugged me.  I kicked and screamed but he just rubbed my back.  

"I'll see you soon."  Those words were ones that I had thought about for years and never really understood the meaning.  

As traumatic as the experience of watching my mother die, I learned so much more about my family than I could've when she was alive.