The Mark of Dearborn Finny Fanny

For Aunt Ellen

Once upon a time, in a town not too far away from this one, there lay a small village called Tip Tap. Tip Tap was not very famous, though it was well known for having one of the first middle schools in the state. One beautiful Sunday morning, a wooden caravan rolled into town. Not much was going on that day. Little children were either going to church with their families, playing in the lush green grass, or wading and swimming in the river. Mothers were doing the dishes and the laundry, and fathers were helping around town. The caravan stopped in front of the town gazebo, and dust was spread from the screech of wheels. Once the dust cleared, a wooden foot stepped out of the caravan. This was the Fanny family, a family of wooden people from the south. There were 3 kids, and the mom and dad. They all came to Tip Tap to earn their marks. The Fannies had no faces. They had to earn them, along with their clothes, shoes, marks and their hair. The mom's name was Caroline Fanny, and the dad's was Johnny Fanny. The youngest was Patricia Fanny, who was in 3rd grade. The oldest was Tommy Fanny, who was a 10th grader. And finally, there was Dearborn Finny Fanny, who was in 6th grade and would be attending to the semi-famous middle school. Weeks past, and still no marks for the wooden people. At their schools, the children were mocked because of their appearance. Then, on a Wednesday night, when the sunset was a glowing orange and red, Patricia burst into the house screaming " MOM! DAD! GUYS! I GOT MY MARK!". And indeed she had. That day at school, Patricia was called on to solve a very complicated math problem. No one else in the class could solve it, but Patricia did it in 3 minutes. She then had returned to her seat, only to find that everyone was staring at her. Patricia looked down, and realised she was wearing clothes! She now wore a white blouse, a plaid skirt, and red suspenders. Her shoes were black flats, and she had knee-length white socks on. She looked at the top of her hand, and slowly, a mark of all the mathematical signs imprinted themselves on Patricia's hand. Her hair was long and brown, and she had bangs. She touched her new face, and she felt glasses pushed onto her nose. Her good mood lasted all day long. Soon after that, Caroline Fanny, the mom, got hers. Knitting. She had been rocking in the family rocking chair, and she was making a blue scarf for Johnny, their dad, to wear in the winter. She finally finished, and suddenly but slowly, a blue, ankle length dress creeped up her wooden body. Her shoes were black heels, and her hair was in a blonde bun. She had brown eyes and full lashes. The marks just kept coming after that. Their dad found he was a good woodcarver, and he started making more Fannies. You see, Fannies can't grow older, because they are made of wood. You would have to completely remodel them if they wanted to grow up. In the meantime, Tommy Fanny finally got his mark. Turns out, he was a very good musician, especially when it came to the piano. Everyone in the Fanny family had their mark, except Dearborn Finny Fanny. Days, weeks, months, years past, and still no mark on Finny. 3 years later, Finny Fanny still had no mark. He was still in middle school, and he had learned everything he needed to know. In fact, despite his age, the school moved him up to the 7th grade curriculum after 2 years in 6th grade. Finny's mother said "Maybe your not trying hard enough.". Finny was trying so hard, but still no mark. One day, Finny's sister Violet Fanny, who was in 5th grade, and who had her mark in writing books, was playing in the nearby river. It was a cloudy afternoon, and it looked like a storm was coming. The Fannies were not lasted all day long. Soon after that, Caroline Fanny, the mom, got hers. Knitting. She had been rocking in the family rocking chair, and she was making a blue scarf for Johnny, their dad, to wear in the winter. She finally finished, and suddenly but slowly, a blue, ankle length dress creeped up her wooden body. Her shoes were black heels, and her hair was in a blonde bun. She had brown eyes and full lashes. The marks just kept coming after that. Their dad found he was a good woodcarver, and he started making more Fannies. You see, Fannies can't grow older, because they are made of wood. You would have to completely remodel them if they wanted to grow up. In the meantime, Tommy Fanny finally got his mark. Turns out, he was a very good musician, especially when it came to the piano. Everyone in the Fanny family had their mark, except Dearborn Finny Fanny. Days, weeks, months, years past, and still no mark on Finny. 3 years later, Finny Fanny still had no mark. He was still in middle school, and he had learned everything he needed to know. In fact, despite his age, the school moved him up to the 7th grade curriculum after 2 years in 6th grade. Finny's mother said "Maybe your not trying hard enough.". Finny was trying so hard, but still no mark. One day, Finny's sister Violet Fanny, who was in 5th grade, and who had her mark in writing books, was playing in the nearby river. It was a cloudy afternoon, and it looked like a storm was coming. The Fannies were not worried. "She knows how to take care of herself." said Johnny Fanny. The sky turned a blackish gray soon, and storm clouds were moving in. The storm finally hit, and the river was suddenly a churning bucket of danger. Finny Fanny looked out the window to check on Violet, but he didn't see her! "Oh no! She must be trapped under the river. She could drown! I have to go get her." Finny exclaimed. So out he went into the cold, rainy weather. He dove into the river, and found Violet laying on a rock, limp. He swan further down, grabbed her, and swan quickly back up. He gasped for air. The storm had stopped, and sunlight was peeking through the clouds. He sloshed through the now calm river to shore. He layed Violet down, and rested her head against a rock. He kneeled down beside her. She finally coughed up water after 2 minutes. She awakened to see Finny staring at her. She whispered hoarsely, "Thank you, Finny. Hey, nice haircut." Finny Fanny was very confused. Haircut? He reached up to the top of his head, and felt soft, lush black hair on his fingertips. He looked down at his hand, and saw a red heart slowly appear onto his hand. He looked down at his clothes. He now wore a red shirt, and denim shorts. He had red sneakers, and white socks with hearts on the tops of them. His face was now speckled with freckles, and he had dashing blue eyes. Violet and Finny ran home together. Finny ran into the house and screamed "MOM! I HAVE IT! I HAVE MY MARK!". "Why Finny, that's wonderful!" Caroline Fanny said. " Can we see it?" she asked. Finny nodded and stuck out his hand. "What does it mean, mama?" he asked. "I believe it means family, Finny. By saving your sister, you proved you were willing to risk your life to save your sister, your family. I think that mark suits you well." Caroline replied. And it did fit Finny well. He looked ut for everyone in his family, town, and school. He was finally well treated. And that dear friends brings us to the end of our story. But remember, children. If you are ever feeling unloved or uncared for, just think of dearborn Finny Fanny, and try and do something nice for someone. Who knows! Maybe they will do something nice for you in return.

                                                                                                   THE END