Chapter two: The taking

My best friend cried on the way there. We weren't prepared even though we knew this was coming.
"It'll be alright, we'll live." I tried to assure her but I knew I was just lying to her.
Once we got to the town square, we were asked to give our signature and our parents' signature. It was pretty much just signing 'I will go without crying and screaming'. And if we committed suicide to avoid this event our parents would be punished.
Around me all I could hear was final goodbyes from families of those 15 year olds. We all lined up in front of the crowd so they could make sure we were all here to be sent off to die. For the next few months we would have to survive and if we failed we died. The weird thing is that we don't know why this happens. It happened to my father and my mother but they survived. Maybe I exaggerated earlier about only 10 surviving. Truth is that 250 go and normally 100 return. Doesn't sound too bad? Nope, that's roughly 150 dead teenagers per year. You must be thinking 'But if so many die, how is there still a population?' Well, we fight each over and its okay to humanity as we are only one defeated town. Still plenty of people out there to live lives. Not us.

My best friend Delphine was beside me as we lined up. It was our turn to step into the bus and we did shaking frantically. We were assigned seats and I was upset to find she wasn't beside me. I sat beside a boy who looked as scared as me and tried not to catch anyone's attention. I didn't want to be noticed on this bus or I'll be dead first.
It hit me hard then. I was going to die in the next 3 months.